• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is the 960's 3.0 reliable and respond to mods

Also.... Screw the AW30-40 automatic. It's a decent transmission, but a complete M90 swap from Europe runs around $1500, and it's so worth it. Chris Wiita also recently made an AW30-40 bellhousing-T56 trans adapter plate, and is using a cobbled together clutch setup. Going that route wouldn't be too hard or expensive, either. Talk to Chris on that one. (FYI, that's what I'm thinking about doing for the racecar. I don't know how well an M90 and a stock-ish clutch would stand up to race conditions, or if 5 speeds would suffice...)

For my street car, I'm definitely going T56 for that 6th gear. 70MPH at 1800RPM is teh secks.

Pete.

Also.... Screw the AW30-40 automatic. It's a decent transmission, but a complete M90 swap from Europe runs around $1500, and it's so worth it. Chris Wiita also recently made an AW30-40 bellhousing-T56 trans adapter plate, and is using a cobbled together clutch setup. Going that route wouldn't be too hard or expensive, either. Talk to Chris on that one. (FYI, that's what I'm thinking about doing for the racecar. I don't know how well an M90 and a stock-ish clutch would stand up to race conditions, or if 5 speeds would suffice...)

For my street car, I'm definitely going T56 for that 6th gear. 70MPH at 1800RPM is teh secks.

Pete.

Wat? $1500 for a weak, unrepairable transmission? No thanks.

Someone figured out how to mount a T5 to a whiteblock. Instructions here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=163457 Cheaper, and fine behind an NA 6. No $1000 clutch required either.
Justin (kildea) is also running a RX7 transmission behind his T6.

Sure you won't bog the crap out of that high winding NA motor of yours at 1800rpm in 6th?

Someone figured out how to mount a T5 to a whiteblock. Instructions here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=163457 Cheaper, and fine behind an NA 6. No $1000 clutch required either.

Sure you won't bog the crap out of that high winding NA motor of yours at 1800rpm in 6th?

Whoops, forgot to include the usage of the 850R clutch and flywheel. Hoards better than the stock 960 clutch and stupid dual-mass flywheel. Either way, a T-5 or a T-56 is the better way to go.

And sixth gear will be for highway cruising in my street car. Supreme awesome gas mileage with cruise control engaged most of the time. If I need power, I'll downshift. (I live in a very flat area, no hills for me.) Also, my street car will have a turbo and a bit more power. Forgot to mention that, as well... lol. Both cars are well on their way to being built as I want them. It's suprising how cheap and easy most of this stuff is to do.

Pete.

I agree get the 960 bell housing and a t5 box

Like I said earlier in this thread (I think I said something about it at least), the chip I have is unique. It is specially tuned only to work with my engine and with very high octane of E85 and V-power gasoline.

We have not made them available for all cars yet. And when we do, they will be made for ordinary gasoline (premium or similar).

Would you like one?

Are there more people interested?

There is a pretty big market for these chips here in Sweden according to my survey. The question is if it is worth it to map these up for all 960/S90/V90 just like the other chips we sell.

I'd be interested

...Are there more people interested?...

If you got back to back load dyno plots with a/f recorded pre-cat on a stock 960 with some sort of low restriction air intake and a big exhaust from manifold back, and tuned it for 91, I'd certainly buy one.

If your wondering about exhaust sound on the 204hp b6304:
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/606420/Burnout_Volvo_240

this is with no cat, conical filter + 3" exhaust and custom exhaust from OEM manifoils down to the JT 3" exhaust (two mufflers).
242hp on dyno

Sounds great. Do you mean you have dual exhaust or single, I'm not sure.

If V8's use dual 4 into 1 exhaust, shouldn't six's be dual 3 into 1? Why would 6 into 1 be better?
[edit; even if 6-2-1 is better than 6-2 I would rather have my car sound like a Jag than a Gremlin. That's probably the main reason they put twin turbos on those sixes? But then they ran single exhaust.]

Last edited:
Individual Throttle Bodies

Remove that stock intake manifold and bolt a throttle body on each cyl, would take a bit of re working of the vac lines setup but if done right would net some pretty stupid gains

Dumb question. Could you use, say 3 throttle bodys from a 305 GM TPI for a cheap source?

gmthrottlebody.jpg

yes, I use scented oils for murrr power.
If you where to turbocharge the b6304 w/ lower comp. you would easy attain 400++nm and 200++Kw on NON PREMIUM fuel :O That must be a loco drive..
Volvo tested this on the 760, 1560kg.. 0-100 km/h (0-60mph) 6.8 seconds. With traction control: 6.5 and with perfect grip, even lower (6.25 or so).

I hope this gives you some inspiration/goals/ideas.
N/A tuning for the b6304 wont be very expensive and it will give your engine a nice ROAR, like a sportscar.

What do you mean volvo tested this on 760? you mean they actually installed a turbo b6304 into 760 and also tested the accel themselves? Can I see more info please??

Dumb question. Could you use, say 3 throttle bodys from a 305 GM TPI for a cheap source?

gmthrottlebody.jpg

I think a BMW bike (k75 or something like that) actually has 37-40mm ITB's, nice thing is that you could use two of those BMW intakes for a IL6, maybe something to look into. They also use Bosch parts like an fpr which looks very similar to what's on our cars and a tps/switch etc etc. They are round as well would be perfect for the 3.0 IL because you could/might make use of the couplers already available/present on the engine (you know the ones that hold the squid intake).

Sounds great. Do you mean you have dual exhaust or single, I'm not sure.

If V8's use dual 4 into 1 exhaust, shouldn't six's be dual 3 into 1? Why would 6 into 1 be better?
[edit; even if 6-2-1 is better than 6-2 I would rather have my car sound like a Jag than a Gremlin. That's probably the main reason they put twin turbos on those sixes? But then they ran single exhaust.]
Hi, it was custom collector, dual 2.25" meets in single 3". Then it was 3" JT superflow w/ 2 mufflers. No catalyst. It sounded insane, like a sportscar :) everyone turned theire heads to the sound..

yes, I use scented oils for murrr power.

Seriously though:
Even in N/A form, there are many limiting factors on the stock b6304:
Manifoils are crap
Front pipe W/ cat is CRAP (pipe in pipe, tiny diametre!)
Also, the cat robs some power (but this I have to have on my current car).

The b6304 is also limited in the ECU, since Volvo wanted the 960 to be a "mercedes like car".
I never tried chipping the b6304, but with new exhaust from the OEM manifoils, down to 3" N/A JT Superflow exhaust (and cat removal) I got 242Hp on the dyno.
Ironically enough, the engine resided in a Volvo 242.

This was running on regular fuel.. The b6304 is also not mapped for premium fuel, from factory.

Powerchip amongst others (also frpe82) offers tuning for the software too.
Ps. I also had a conical filter, but this does not give a gain :-) I just had to have it, due to space limitations in my engine compartment.

Read the file I posted above, it's about turbocharging with unleaded 95 octane (european standard, the best octane here is 98), it also tests M85 (E85) on the lower displacement engine b6254. 200Kw was easy, they say.

I've read some nice posts lately, where some board members here have figured out that bmw m50/m52 manifoils fit, with a little custom work.. This means you can have headers for the b6304 too, with just modding the flange (klracing sells flanges for b6304).

If I cant get the "PCP" engine approved, which I have, I'll either go for the B6304 N/A w/ the earlier cams (204hp version) and tune it, or I'll go for a T5 engine.

An N/A engine with power, is very fun to drive.. it responds much faster than a turbo lagged car. (ps. that is comparing the b6304 vs the b230ft, both cars auto and ~~same weight, as well as ~~same power levels).

If you where to turbocharge the b6304 w/ lower comp. you would easy attain 400++nm and 200++Kw on NON PREMIUM fuel :O That must be a loco drive..
Volvo tested this on the 760, 1560kg.. 0-100 km/h (0-60mph) 6.8 seconds. With traction control: 6.5 and with perfect grip, even lower (6.25 or so).

I hope this gives you some inspiration/goals/ideas.
N/A tuning for the b6304 wont be very expensive and it will give your engine a nice ROAR, like a sportscar.
Hi,

Interested to read through this thread. I have recently purchased a 1998 V90 with the 2.9 204bhp engine. All is well but I am taking it to the local exhaust centre this evening for a centre pipe to be fitted. They have already told me that the connection from this pipe to the cat is looking dodgy (it's wrapped up in bandage at the moment). If they tell me that the cat flange is u/s then I am considering removing the cat - we don't have any emissions testing or relevant legislation regarding this in Guernsey.

A friend of mine will happily make up an appropriate sized/shaped pipe. What exactly do I need to do regarding the engine management system? Will the new configuration run? Will it run with warning lights? Do I need a remap?

I'm also interested to know how this might affect my economy and performance (and engine sound).

Just FYI, the car has covered 175,000 miles and runs smoothly without any issues.

Looking forward to any comment you might have on this

Cheers

Andr?

A friend of mine will happily make up an appropriate sized/shaped pipe. What exactly do I need to do regarding the engine management system? Will the new configuration run? Will it run with warning lights? Do I need a remap?

I'm also interested to know how this might affect my economy and performance (and engine sound).
It will run at least like before, no changes to ECU needed with such mods. But you will have a check engine light because the second lambda monitors the cat. It may be avoided with a long bung with a restrictor inside.

There will be more exhaust noise and it'll sound more crisp because stock cat works as a muffler too. With a stock rear muffler the noise might not be too loud. If the cat is removed, I would make a bit bigger pipes all the way from the exhaust manifold flange. Optimally install new headers :lol:

Look into tunerpro, with moronic 4.4 on 5 cylinders you can disable the rear 02 sensor check, but I have no idea if the proper XDF and Bin files are available for the 6 cylinder ECUs.
Take a look here, might prove useful or at least informative https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=347374. And to give you the warning listed in the first post: "It's WILDLY incomplete, but the main fuel and ignition maps are available. This is to be used at your own risk."

One thing consider is that both of the O2 sensors screw into the cat itself... so if you decide to de-cat it, those sensors will have to be relocated.. which I suspect would be an extra cost due to extra time.

Back