• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Springs/Shocks for lowering a 240? HELP!

Lowering Springs

As anyone that recognizes my name from other threads similar to this can tell, I'm in a big debacle over lowering my 240 sedan. I have decided on buying Bilstein touring struts and shocks along with lowering springs. That's where I'm still undecided, I'd really like about a 2.5" drop in front and 2" in back. Anyone know what springs I should get? Is cutting IPD springs gonna be my best option?

Last edited:
40tn6v.jpg

I think I responded to your first thread.

At this point I have to say that all of this has been discussed ad nauseum. I was able to do literally everything under my car with zero past experience. I did all my research first. I found out everything I need to know on this website. All our questions about these cars were answered 20+ years ago. I find beauty in that. It's reassuring.

Put some work in dude, can't be spoon-fed.

If you want that much drop it's either coil overs or cut springs. You aren't getting coil overs so just cut the springs. If you're cutting the springs I wouldn't even bother replacing the shocks and struts the ride will be bad.

At this point I have to say that all of this has been discussed ad nauseum. I was able to do literally everything under my car with zero past experience. I did all my research first. I found out everything I need to know on this website. All our questions about these cars were answered 20+ years ago. I find beauty in that. It's reassuring.

If you want that much drop it's either coil overs or cut springs. You aren't getting coil overs so just cut the springs. If you're cutting the springs I wouldn't even bother replacing the shocks and struts the ride will be bad.

Was gonna argue about the ride effect of cut springs but someone already did In 2010.

Really though all the info is out there, including discussions about the effects of cutting springs or the way to get X drop in height effectively.

I was told by a guy at IPD that touring shocks and struts and their spings with 1 or so coils off would be good ride for that much of a drop, Is he wrong?

This is probably the first video I stumbled upon during my research. It pursued me to do everything correctly, but this might be your best bet.

If you don't **** it you'll be fine
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-XWkhUgl0xs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was told by a guy at IPD that touring shocks and struts and their spings with 1 or so coils off would be good ride for that much of a drop, Is he wrong?

No offense to IPD but I'm sure the guy selling you the thing you're buying says it will be great.

I'm sure it would drop the car that much, but how would it take a corner?

Ya know, thanks for everyone that has replied and helped me, beared with me as I'm new. I'm just going to save up and buy IPD lowering parts. It's my daily and firdt car, I don't want to do anything thats gonna be unpractical or mess up my suspension. 1.75/1.25 is low enough to not have much wheel gap.

Take it slow, get everything you need together first.
I used FCPeuro for mostly everything cause of their lifetime warranty. I'm a firm believer of "do it nice, don't do it twice"
I'm a newbie too, but when you present yourself as well informed and researched the community is much more responsive.
Imagine you've logged into this website almost every day for the last 15 years and there's at least a thread a week titled "hOw Do I lOwER mY tWO foRtY" but yours is the newest one :lol:

Last edited:
Take it slow, get everything you need together first.
I used FCPeuro for mostly everything cause of their lifetime warranty. I'm a firm believer of "do it nice, don't do it twice"
I'm a newbie too, but when you present yourself as well informed and researched the community is much more responsive.
Imagine you've logged into this website almost every day for the last 15 years and there's at least a thread a week titled "hOw Do I lOwER mY tWO foRtY" but yours is the newest one :lol:

Yea I totally understand lol. And yea, I've got the panhard bar already, just gonna piece together all the shocks/struts/ then springs as I get the money for them

Yea I totally understand lol. And yea, I've got the panhard bar already, just gonna piece together all the shocks/struts/ then springs as I get the money for them

Springs pop up on the forum all the time, just wait for a pair. I'm thinking about switching to overload springs in the rear, so I might be listing a rear set of lowering springs soon even. Everyone is always doing something new and passing the old along.

I recommend the front suspension upgrade kit on FCP. All new tie rods and ball joints and poly bushings make such a big difference.

Springs pop up on the forum all the time, just wait for a pair. I'm thinking about switching to overload springs in the rear, so I might be listing a rear set of lowering springs soon even. Everyone is always doing something new and passing the old along.

I recommend the front suspension upgrade kit on FCP. All new tie rods and ball joints and poly bushings make such a big difference.

Alright, as I said I'm probably gonna build up the parts over a bit, so I'll put up a wanted post and watch for em, If I have everything else before I can get all 4 I'll just buy em new whenever they go on sale. Thanks for the help!

@RedwoodChair - I had my cut-spring-virginity taken the other day in a 240 GLT sedan, poor thing had been robbed of good front sway bar and steering wheel and had a coil cut off the front springs and they were half out of the struts. Quality work. I turned me off from the curiosity I previously had on the topic. I'm not in the raise the lowered category yet, but I'm in your corner when it comes to chopped springs, for sure! NO! :-D

Back