• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 turbo warm start issue

Corey

I've been working on getting my '81 240 turbo back on the road after it sat for a year or so and it's just about there but I have noticed it's having a warm start issue that it did not used to have.

I know there are many threads on this but hoping someone has insight on the specifics of the issue I'm having given I know hot start problems can be caused by numerous issues.

So the car starts fine when cold (replaced the cold start injector a few years back, did both fuel pumps around the same time), but after short drives it does not like to restart. It will cranks forever and not start, but as soon as I stop cranking it will sometimes catch and start up. Car has no other issues idling/driving etc at any temperature.

And after longer drives when it warms up all the way it seems to restart without an issue.

Thanks

Almost seems like a gummed up CPR, even though that usually affects things when the engine is stone cold.

Do you still have the old gas in the tank, perchance? If so, I'd disconnect the fuel line from the filter at the fuel distributor, then pump the old gas out into a jerrycan, then put some fresh gas in. Iff not, then I would borrow or rent a fuel pressure gauge and see what the control pressure is as the car is warming up. If it's showing system pressure, then, the CPR is bad.

Currently dealing with starting issues with my '82 242 Turbo that hasn't seen road use since May 2017. Mine are cold issues, though.

Back