• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Adjusting Trunk (Sedan)

colgate41

After chasing down water leaks in my trunk for about as long as I've owned the car (15 years) I think I'm finally on to something. I'd always have water in the two side "wells" of the trunk, you know, those deep pocket looking things. I believe some of it was coming from old leaky tail lights. I replaced those and it did help but I still have water on one side (passenger) and after reading up a bit more I think one of the spot welds has come loose or whatever adhesive was sealing it has gone bad. I'll clean and put some silicone in there first and see if that solves the remaining wetness in the well of the trunk.

Replaced the dry rotted trunk gasket with a better used one and things got a little better but now, along with water in that one well, I still have water getting in at the top of the trunk lid, so the edge of the trunk nearest to the rear window, again this is mostly on the passenger side. I took a good look from the outside and I can see the trunk lid is sitting a bit higher on the passenger side, maybe 1/4 of an inch or so. So the trunk lid isn't making enough contact with the trunk gasket (guessing) and letting water in mostly on that passenger side.

I looked at a couple posts and forms but before I go removing some almost 30 year old plastic etc, what are to steps to adjusting the height of the trunk lid. Specifically the rear edge closest to the rear window. Would it just be easier to remove the rear seats. I've read there is a nut or bolt you can tun to adjust the height of the trunk lid. Is this correct?

Thanks!

...I think one of the spot welds has come loose or whatever adhesive was sealing it has gone bad. I'll clean and put some silicone in there first and see if that solves the remaining wetness in the well of the trunk.
A distinct possibility. There is also a vertical seam just below the tail light near the corner that can leak. Silicone caulk does not work so well for those seams for some reason. The best product to use is seam sealer, Geocel makes a good one. Similar to what the (good) roof gutter fabricators use.

2300VBS-1.jpg

A distinct possibility. There is also a vertical seam just below the tail light near the corner that can leak. Silicone caulk does not work so well for those seams for some reason. The best product to use is seam sealer, Geocel makes a good one. Similar to what the (good) roof gutter fabricators use.

2300VBS-1.jpg

Just got done putting some (very old and probably won?t work) silicone I had laying around the house on what I believe to be the problem areas and yeah, it?s not really taking. Thanks for the tip! I?ll pick some of this or something similar up and give it a go!

Back