• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

microsquirt questions

makebrickgovroom

so i've just about neared the halfway mark with my 245 turbo microsquirt build. just waiting on some hardware and the actual computer itself to show up. i do have some questions about a few things:

- gm cts from diyautotune: where's the ideal place for it to be threaded? there's a plug below the exhaust manifold that i assume leads to a jacket, as well as two sensors near the firewall below the intake -- just curious if any of these will work
- on the 530 head i purchased, there's a hella cht sensor that has a fuel-injector type plug -- would i be able to use this as an alternative to the gm sensor?
- i'm planning on starting with a fuel-only setup just to get used to ms. in the near future i'll add spark. my 90 b230 manifold doesn't have an idle screw, and i haven't been able to find anything definitive about using the bosch 516 idle motor with fuel-only. it seems intuitive that to have an idle motor be controlled by ms, id need a crank reference of some sort. if i don't have a manual idle adjust, i don't see how i could adjust or alter my idle. i have no ****in clue what to expect or do, and depending on the responses i might just have to go full hog and do spark too.
- speaking of spark control, i've heard the bosch 139 ignition amplifier is superior to the 124 because it has auto dwell control-- is this still the standard?

sorry for the mess and the rambling, i've been inhaling brakeclean for the last week in my stuffy garage so brain don't work good.

thanks!!

I would just go full hog and do the spark as well. You can use the stock coolant temp sender, I think one of the presets in tunerstudio is correct for it (the LH2.2 sensor, anyway) but I don't really remember. A quick google tells me the microsquirt can drive a PWM idle valve so you should be able to just connect one of the valves wires to fidle, other wire gets 12v. No clue about the powerstage/amplifier stuff.

I would just go full hog and do the spark as well. You can use the stock coolant temp sender, I think one of the presets in tunerstudio is correct for it (the LH2.2 sensor, anyway) but I don't really remember. A quick google tells me the microsquirt can drive a PWM idle valve so you should be able to just connect one of the valves wires to fidle, other wire gets 12v. No clue about the powerstage/amplifier stuff.

Extremely helpful! Thanks gents! Culberro, thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the am engine management board. lotta good information there.

I went ahead and ordered an lh2.2 tb from a b230ft off ebay (and an lh2.2 temp sensor). Ill probably add the motor in the future but for now I'll keep it simple because, again, I have no idea what im doing.

I REALLY want spark, but I can't find a used lh2.2 distributor for a decent price atm. I'll for sure add it, I just want to get the machine running at this point

You can use a LH2.2 temperature sensor (2 pin, single sensor, not grounded to block) or one pin of a LH2.4 temperature sensor (2 pin, 2 separate sensors, using block for common ground). Measure the resistance on your sensor between each pin and the head - if there's no circuit, you have a LH2.2 sensor; if each pin reads about the same, it's a LH2.4 sensor.

You can use a 516 IAC with fuel only, for initial setup help google: "bosch 516 iac megasquirt site:turbobricks.com"

What ignition box and distributor are you planning on using initially? You'll need something with vacuum advance (either the distributor, or a Chrysler box). You won't be able to use a EZK box due to a lack of Load/Tq signal from LH2.2 or LH2.4 ECU. (It might be easier to go directly to MS controlled ignition, with a LH2.2 distributor.)

If you start with fuel-only, you still need to feed a tach or spark signal into the MicroSquirt. Check the manual, but I think MicroSquirt can use the signal directly off the coil.

Why wait, add ignition to MS now. You need an ignition module like quadspark and a 420a or similar coil from a junkyard. Or you can do wasted COP.

I used a Quadspark to drive a 420A coil for wasted spark in my Turbo Dodge.
msspark.jpg

coil.jpg

You can use a LH2.2 temperature sensor (2 pin, single sensor, not grounded to block) or one pin of a LH2.4 temperature sensor (2 pin, 2 separate sensors, using block for common ground). Measure the resistance on your sensor between each pin and the head - if there's no circuit, you have a LH2.2 sensor; if each pin reads about the same, it's a LH2.4 sensor.

You can use a 516 IAC with fuel only, for initial setup help google: "bosch 516 iac megasquirt site:turbobricks.com"

What ignition box and distributor are you planning on using initially? You'll need something with vacuum advance (either the distributor, or a Chrysler box). You won't be able to use a EZK box due to a lack of Load/Tq signal from LH2.2 or LH2.4 ECU. (It might be easier to go directly to MS controlled ignition, with a LH2.2 distributor.)

If you start with fuel-only, you still need to feed a tach or spark signal into the MicroSquirt. Check the manual, but I think MicroSquirt can use the signal directly off the coil.

always enjoy getting replies from you! i've found a ton of info from you across the net answering basically any question i've had up till now. i like to think it helps keep the forums clean of my drivel :)

my dizzy has vacuum advance, and the box is a bosch 0227100018 unit. i'm hoping it's adequate for the meantime, the second i can source an lh2.2 distributor its spark time. thoughts on the bosch 139 ign module (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-9000-...4688&hash=item3f7f22bd30:g:rAkAAOSw0j9ZQCYt)?

also great help with the sensors! makes total sense, now i just need to buy a multi-meter >:)

To begin with, you can use the distributor, coil, ignition box, and ballast resistor from the original K-Jet B21FT car. In one of the old ignition greenbooks, you can find the advance/retard curves for the distributor, which may help when you change over to MS controlled spark. IIRC, the Turbo K-Jet distributor uses a VR sensor. I don't know if the Bosch 139 module supports a VR sensor input. The LH2.2 distributor uses a different Hall Effect sensor.

Back