• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DIY 3" AMM - Anyone here made one?

DaButcher

Do a Burnout!
Has anyone here made a 3" DIY AMM? eg. remove the inner workings of a 2.5" one and fit it inside a 3" pipe.

I would like pics of dis-assembly of the 2.5", also: would the AMM work fine without the mesh? I read that the mesh is also there to give a "smoother" flow(?), not sure if this is the case though...

I just thought of fitting it inside a 3" PVC pipe, as the lh2.4 w/ 550CC injectors runs a bit rich (e85@ 10psi boost)

LOL mike and i were just talking about this...

i say try it, we're going to - but with something larger.

i used a piece of 3" SS pipe, works good but it advanced the timing some, i had a frep chip in the ezk box so i took that out and put the stock chip back in and all was good. as for the screens ive always taken those out, seems to pep things up some...

i used a piece of 3" SS pipe, works good but it advanced the timing some, i had a frep chip in the ezk box so i took that out and put the stock chip back in and all was good. as for the screens ive always taken those out, seems to pep things up some...
Was it easy to open the old one up?
I think I read somewhere that there are some screws from the inside, which are not accessible, so one has to pry it open? How did you open yours?

Yes you have to pry it apart as you can only get the screws out from one side. So take those out first then put it in a vise and start prying carefully. I put mine in a 3 inch PVC pipe and run that with 75lb injectors on E85.

Simon

Was it easy to open the old one up?
I think I read somewhere that there are some screws from the inside, which are not accessible, so one has to pry it open? How did you open yours?

i made it a few years ago. from what i remember it was a pain to get the plastic off. i beleave i just broke it off with pliers. i do remember having to snap off the metal that make a 90 deg bend on the sides of the sensor so i could get the guts to fit down inside the pipe. i just used a lot of RTV to seal it onto the pipe

the only problem with introdusing RTV or regular silicone sealants into electronics, is the fact that it doesn't get along with electrical components all of the time. after working with toyota, i stand by their FIPG engine sealant!! black (Form In Place Gasket) same uses as RTV, but it DOES NOT get soft when in contact with oil.

on the original topic. i like the idea of a 3" AMM, but i can't see getting a 3"AMM, only to try a cram it through a 2" throttle body.

Has anyone here made a 3" DIY AMM? eg. remove the inner workings of a 2.5" one and fit it inside a 3" pipe.

I would like pics of dis-assembly of the 2.5", also: would the AMM work fine without the mesh? I read that the mesh is also there to give a "smoother" flow(?), not sure if this is the case though...

I just thought of fitting it inside a 3" PVC pipe, as the lh2.4 w/ 550CC injectors runs a bit rich (e85@ 10psi boost)

must be having trouble reading. can anyone translate this for me?

must be having trouble reading. can anyone translate this for me?

seriously? is english your second language? new to modding volvos? i'm not normally a dick, but comeon...

anyways:
he wants to take the internal parts of the stock Mass Air Flow sensor / Air Mass Meter [MAF/AMM] and install them into a larger tube for less restriction of the incoming air & to use larger injectors.

he goes on to say that the fuel injection computer runs alittle rich with bigger [almost 2x] stock injectors running e85=alcohol fuel...

seriously? is english your second language? new to modding volvos? i'm not normally a dick, but comeon...

anyways:
he wants to take the internal parts of the stock Mass Air Flow sensor / Air Mass Meter [MAF/AMM] and install them into a larger tube for less restriction of the incoming air & to use larger injectors.

he goes on to say that the fuel injection computer runs alittle rich with bigger [almost 2x] stock injectors running e85=alcohol fuel...

i'm not trying to ruin this guys post by being an ass.

i was talking about the having a 3" AMM that flows better than the 2" factory throttle body that's going to be the primary constriction to the engine's over all intake.

it's kinda like saying " this funnel's really slow. maybe i'll get one with a 3" mouth." even though you still have a 1" end that it has to exit out of.

if you're trying to fool the ECU, then you should look into signal modification.

that's all i'm saying. stop ruining this guys post.

I don't think you quite understand ^^^

Comparing MAF to throttle body size is pretty irrelevent. The MAF needs to read more incoming air to allow LH to compensate with more fuel, hence why people want to go to a larger MAF. Even though Volvo throttle bodies are fairly puny, that roundish thing hanging off the right side of the engine crams it right past the it.

i'm not trying to ruin this guys post by being an ass.

i was talking about the having a 3" AMM that flows better than the 2" factory throttle body that's going to be the primary constriction to the engine's over all intake.

it's kinda like saying " this funnel's really slow. maybe i'll get one with a 3" mouth." even though you still have a 1" end that it has to exit out of.

if you're trying to fool the ECU, then you should look into signal modification.

that's all i'm saying. stop ruining this guys post.

going with a larger AMM is signal modification !!!!!

I don't think you quite understand ^^^

Comparing MAF to throttle body size is pretty irrelevent. The MAF needs to read more incoming air to allow LH to compensate with more fuel, hence why people want to go to a larger MAF. Even though Volvo throttle bodies are fairly puny, that roundish thing hanging off the right side of the engine crams it right past the it.

i'm not trying to tell anyone that they are right or wrong. in my experience, when you introduce more, you make the system equivelant down stream as well.

about that " roundish thing hanging off the right side of the engine", if you use the technical data that you've just produced for me, then it should be able to "suck" more air through too ...right???:roll:

pressure and volume work together, and depending on your over all goal, than you need coordinate both features. Right? i personally can think of a couple easier options than modification of an AMM mod to obtain more fuel. yes, even obtaining it at a proportional level.

i never told this guy that it wasn't possible, because it certainly is. i simply gave an opinion. i don't nessicarily think that's grounds for a gang-bang @ss chewing. truth of the matter is, when i comes to the end of the day, i don't give a rat's @ss what endevour people take-on. more power to them. but, if you post it HERE... is it not grounds for disscussion??

Back