• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

help please..clutch issues

745turbo

Just bought my first volvo. Had it 2 days and its broken!
Its a 1986 740 turbo wagon manual trans 4 speed w od
Pressed the clutch in it disengaged let foot off clutch and nothing...
Noticed all the clutch fluid pooring out (from slave cylinder) so towed it home ordered a new slave put it on and bled it. Used dot 4 fluid now the clutch pedal is firm and wont depress??? And i think the clutch fork is stuck in disengaged position. Like i said im new to these cars and dont know where to start. Any help would be appreciated. Can someone come take a look at it and point me in the right direction? Im in southern ca (city of perris) im stumped

Any help would be appreciated.

Clutch forks do break: M46/7 Hydraulic Clutch Fork

I've not messed with Volvo's fork, but I would have someone look at fork's movement when someone presses on clutch pedal to see if it is moving.

If slave cylinder is removed, along with rubber boot, one might be able to look inside via mechanic's mirror.

If fork is broken, the transmission will have to be removed; RTFM before doing.

If it's stuck you need to find out where it's hanging up.
Inspect it with a flashlight and you should be able to determine if it's bent or broken.
Make sure your clutch slave isn't overextended and experiencing a stuck piston.

There are quite a few people down south, but I don't know anyone in your immediate area.

I've seen two (one on an upgraded aftermarket clutch, one on a stock clutch) with the pivot point nearly worn through, which caused sticky/grinding clutch feel.

If you can't figure it out or don't have the skills to do it yourself, Swedish Speed is in Perris and can help you out. They're good guys and they know their Volvos.

Back