• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I use this penta gear on a b20

Only if you have a matching crank gear. The steel sets used a different number of teeth.

:pow: read the item description :-P

The steel gear has 56 teeth. The fiber gears have 42. You can't use this cam gear with a regular crank gear.

I think they're just trying to dispel the idea that the steel cam and matching crank gears have to remain in a matched set. they're not trying to say you can stick a cam gear on with 56 teeth in place of a fiber gear that had 42.

I contacted the seller asking if the crank gear was available.
His reply:

"When the gears are made they are made separately and are not made as a matched set. If someones camshaft gear gets damaged for 1 of many reasons then this is an inexpensive fix. Yes, if your crank gear is damaged then of course this is not an option."

It seems to me that he is trolling for the uninformed.

Have any of you been able to damage a steel camshaft gear?

I contacted the seller asking if the crank gear was available.
His reply:

"When the gears are made they are made separately and are not made as a matched set. If someones camshaft gear gets damaged for 1 of many reasons then this is an inexpensive fix. Yes, if your crank gear is damaged then of course this is not an option."

It seems to me that he is trolling for the uninformed.

Have any of you been able to damage a steel camshaft gear?

I need to ask him about matching gears. see if he has any literature on this :nod:

edit LOLZ

Hi
Everyone says these have to be matched, where have you read that they dont have to? Let me know as I am interested in buying this

Thanks

Who is everyone...the people that sell the new sets? Whether it is the steel gears for the B-18 and B-20 street engines or these gear sets, the camshaft gears roll off the assembly line as do the crankshaft gears and the people on the packaging lines grab a seal from this bin, a gear from another bin and the gasket from another. There are tolerances for any production gear however, they are not matched sets. In situations like ring and pinions, they are matched sets and function under much finer tolerances. I can take a new factory counter-shaft for a M-40 and install it in another/older transmission and everything works. And, those tolerances are much more critical that the timing gears of a B-20. Of course, you need the crankshaft sprocket for a PENTA as the teeth of the sprocket are different. If you have a street crankshaft gear then this PENTA gear will not work.

Thanks, David

Last edited:
I need to ask him about matching gears. see if he has any literature on this :nod:

edit LOLZ

Hi
Everyone says these have to be matched, where have you read that they dont have to? Let me know as I am interested in buying this

Thanks

Who is everyone...the people that sell the new sets? Whether it is the steel gears for the B-18 and B-20 street engines or these gear sets, the camshaft gears roll off the assembly line as do the crankshaft gears and the people on the packaging lines grab a seal from this bin, a gear from another bin and the gasket from another. There are tolerances for any production gear however, they are not matched sets. In situations like ring and pinions, they are matched sets and function under much finer tolerances. I can take a new factory counter-shaft for a M-40 and install it in another/older transmission and everything works. And, those tolerances are much more critical that the timing gears of a B-20. Of course, you need the crankshaft sprocket for a PENTA as the teeth of the sprocket are different. If you have a street crankshaft gear then this PENTA gear will not work.

Thanks, David

OMG - Pass. I've never heard of anyone having issues with the Penta steel gears. I've personally had issues with the Cloyes - but that was years ago, they acknowledged the problem and refunded my purchase price (the gear didn't have enough clearance - there was a bad batch...all better now I understand).

Back