• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

All the clunking and the engine bucking is definitely the locker, it's a very aggressive design used mainly in 4x4s. It's not a clutch style, it's called a Powertrax Lock Right and it literally uses teeth that lock both axles shafts together when you apply power (look up a good explanation, they're cool). Since it's been lowered and the bushings are likely original, the clunkiness is exacerbated. The engine almost dying is probably a vacuum leak, It did that when I had it, just let off slowly and the engine speed won't dip.

It never had that loud of a ticking noise when I had it.

All the clunking and the engine bucking is definitely the locker, it's a very aggressive design used mainly in 4x4s. It's not a clutch style, it's called a Powertrax Lock Right and it literally uses teeth that lock both axles shafts together when you apply power (look up a good explanation, they're cool). Since it's been lowered and the bushings are likely original, the clunkiness is exacerbated. The engine almost dying is probably a vacuum leak, It did that when I had it, just let off slowly and the engine speed won't dip.

It never had that loud of a ticking noise when I had it.

Thanks. I think the ticking is exhaust related. Pushing the tailpipe with my foot makes it tick faster for a few seconds.

IMG_20170121_102857.jpg

So I'm pretty sure the HVAC is stuck on recirculate. Had to drive with the windows cracked to keep from fogging up and I can't feel a breeze coming through the vents at speed like I can in the '86.

Todays new problem: I was leaving a parking lot when it started pulling to the right pretty hard. Cranked it left, clunked really loudly, and now it only pulls to the right a bit. And it now clunks when cranking the wheel but not as loudly.

This thing is filled with dryer sheets. No idea why, I keep finding them.

I just put that cargo mat I got fro you outside in the sun to let it uncurl. I can smell dryer sheets in my yard. I don't use them so it isn't from my house. That's a lot of dryer sheets!

Last edited:
Ripped into the center dash today. Lots of weird ****ty wiring that confuses me. 740 turbo ECU, wonder if my 780 Bertone ECU is better? The thing I'm mostly concerned about is that it seems to be stuck on recirc. It looks like the recirc button is missing at least one vacuum hose which is nowhere to be seen. Anyone know where it connects? Has a vac leak somewhere since pushing the buttons does nothing with the car off.

IMG_20170125_145040.jpg

IMG_20170125_145542.jpg

IMG_20170125_150058.jpg

IMG_20170125_150554.jpg

IMG_20170125_150701.jpg

IMG_20170125_150708.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gvwrNjWFB8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Put it up in the air and recorded that. Wiggled the wheels, passenger side has slight clunkiness wiggling the top and bottom of the wheel.

Back