• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Differential?

manjiman

Hey everyone, I tried searching but came up without any results. I just wanted to know if the '87 740 turbo came with a differential? If so, which one?

Thanks,
manjiman

I, too, can confirm the presense of a differential in the Volvo 740. Volvo has a long history of offering differentials on their cars, even the base models. It's one of the reasons I like them so much. I've tried to drive cars without them and it's very difficult. I had a 1979 Rx7 without a differential and it was a sumbitch to even get it to move.

I know there's a differential on the '88 740, but I'm not 100% sure on the '87 since I haven't seen one firsthand, but I assume so since the '88 does... :e-shrug:

But some had different differentials... And there are differing opinions on which of the different differentials are better, but I'll defer to to experts on that.

Can't determine fact based on assumption, we need to look under an 87. Oh wait, I can see one from here...... looks under the car across the street from his window...... and YES, differential is present.

Well...differential...hmmmm...maybe...not really sure, depends on the level of equipment that car came with, power windows, heated seats, differential...

Can anyone link a picture to what it might look and what type of differential it might have? The Volvo I have has power windows, heated seats. not sure if this necessary for the car to have a differential? Also, what does the differential do? :oops:

Also, what is the required maintenance period for the differential? Or is it a sealed unit and requires no additional oil?

haha! I looked in the Hayne's manual and it said some models came with a differential (limited slip) and that maintenance/inspection should be every 12,000 miles or annually. It does not specify if the oil has to be changed or not, just topped up.

haha! I looked in the Hayne's manual and it said some models came with a differential (limited slip) and that maintenance/inspection should be every 12,000 miles or annually. It does not specify if the oil has to be changed or not, just topped up.

Oil in differential?! Never heard.

re-read it....some cars came with a limited slip, all have a differential

Oh. I was just wondering what kind it came with and what purpose it would serve? Also, if having a differential vs having none makes a difference in the winter?

Can't determine fact based on assumption, we need to look under an 87. Oh wait, I can see one from here...... looks under the car across the street from his window...... and YES, differential is present.

Are you sure? It might just be the housing. Go pull the cover off.

kids...:roll:
A differential is a device that, in a car, allows the drive wheels to turn at different speeds in a corner.
A limited slip differential limits the slip between the two axles to allow better traction in loose conditions because one wheel will spin with out moving the car if you have an "open" differential.
A locking differential locks the two axles together in certain conditions, this can be advantageous in certain conditions and under certain uses.
A Lincoln locker or a spool, is a solid connection between the two axles, allowing no "differential" motion...rarely needed or wanted.
hope that helps.
watch this
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K4JhruinbWc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K4JhruinbWc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I particularly like the ghost ride at the end.

Last edited:
Back