• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

Lot of edits to my 1st post.

At a bit of a halt due to my buddies shop being busier than ever swapping Cummings motors into Jeeps but the parts pile still grows..I haven't been including the rare parts and options I've been hoarding up for this car, I'll post them at some point when I start installing them.

Dismembered 240 axle housings compared to my 9" rear, things look good in the 1st pic, second pic kinda shows things aren't exactly in the right position, may be hard to tell from my crappy pics though.

vNRlQdJl.jpg

admuUljl.jpg

Tremec crossmember and Ford to Volvo speedo cable

TCyWnlpl.jpg

I've been looking at steering wheel options, it needs to be large because of no power steering and wide tires, also needs look right. Grant makes a lot of large ones but I don't like any of the ones I've seen. Momo only makes little ones, any ideas? R Sport ones are also kinda small.

Because the car doesn't have it and I like the feel when driving. When the new suspension is installed maybe I'll feel differently. I've always preferred the manual rack in the Porsches I've had. I don't think it would be a big deal to add it later if I want.

Because the car doesn't have it and I like the feel when driving. When the new suspension is installed maybe I'll feel differently. I've always preferred the manual rack in the Porsches I've had. I don't think it would be a big deal to add it later if I want.

a Porsche doesn't have that much weight up front and doesn't have very wide tires up front either. When you add a proper amount of caster to the front end, it will just be even worse to drive. How do you like the feel when driving of steering pull because of wide wheels on the front of a 240? Just install power steering a have a car which is decent to drive.

The Porsches were 944s and 951 so they did have the engine over the front. I actually have almost the same front tire on there now, 225/50-17 vs porsche's 16. You're probably right that it will be better with power steering, I'll think about it.

The Porsches were 944s and 951 so they did have the engine over the front. I actually have almost the same front tire on there now, 225/50-17 vs porsche's 16. You're probably right that it will be better with power steering, I'll think about it.

225s aren't big and you're complaint about low speed steering feel now? put some 245s or 255s up front and get back to us.

Actually I didn't complain about anything, was just asking about nice looking larger steering wheels. But you've given me something to think about, and I appreciate hearing from someone with experience.

I should have mentioned the 944 with manual steering I installed a Momo 340 mm steering wheel and it made it even better. The Volvo is a bit more of a pig in parking lots, thus my question.

Tonights project, rubbing it out, got a set of used mirrors in good condition, but needed some love. I also bought a set of new flat black mirrors but after looking at them side by side and taking a vote with Turbocowgirl (my lurking fiancee) we are going for the original stainless mirrors. So I got new tubes of red and blue Wenol polish and went to work. I found out its very hard to take a useful pic of really shiny stuff with my phone...but you can probably get the point. The cleaner one is after 2 rounds of hand polishing with red Wenol, still far from done but looks much better and most of the light scratching is removed. Still a little cloudy but we'll get there.

nFk0mjcl.jpg

If I don't start the engine swap haha. My buddies shop is still backed up worse than ever, and Im waiting for some of the rear suspension parts still.

Finally got my surge tank (due to me slacking on ordering it, not the manufacturer), it looks beautiful, shame it has to go in the trunk.

It has two Walbro 255 pumps installed, and has a nice cannon plug connector. To save time and work I also ordered two relay kits to run the pumps. Those kits come with all the wiring, Hella relays, connectors, everything needed.
The pumps will feed 2 Aeromotive 100 micron fuel filters to an -6, -6 to -8 AN Y fitting.
Surge tank is going to be fed by an Aeromotive 340 lph in tank pump, because I have new one sitting around.
Fuel filter brackets are Evil Energy 50mm ID bought on Amazon, much better deal than what was available at Summit.

gMlWnq7l.jpg

whzie6Ll.jpg

The jewelry

hrB4dfml.jpg

Pump and relay goodies

0oi25Ohl.jpg

Filters and stuff

8lmhufzl.jpg

Also found a mounting plate for my PCM, these aren't very common, most PCM mounting solutions are for 2004 and earlier, mine is a 2005. I don't understand the part number system for the PCMs so found this by looking at pics. Labeled for a "411 PCM", 411 is not one of the several numbers on the computer but whatever, it fits.

So that takes care of the fuel system for the most part, installing a new used tank hopefully this weekend with a bulkhead fitting for the surge tank return. Just need a bunch of fuel lines.

Edit: forgot to give some credit to my hard working shop manager haha

WAgMjA3l.jpg

Last edited:
Edited the filter specs, I got 40 micron filters, this is what was recommended by Aeroquip. Too many parts...confusing me haha.

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/post-pump-fuel-filtration/
Post pump fuel filter: When choosing a filter for use after the pump and before the engine, use an Aeromotive 10-micron (part numbers 12301 and 12310), 40-micron (part number 12335), or an acceptable equivalent. Note: these filters are for use on the fuel pump outlet side only.
My 40 micron filter should be fine, I'm replacing my old tank with a nice used non-rusty unit that will be thoroughly cleaned. I won't be fueling up in dust storms or anything, and the stainless elements are easy to clean.

Back