• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Security screws for 242

CTSwee

Anybody found with a decent replacement for the Philips head screws holding on the rear quarter glass on 242s?

Around a year ago I had some punks pull the drivers rear to gain entry. Found the window broken on the ground in the morning. Nothing was stolen which is good but
Still annoying to hunt down a new one with black trim.

What's the length/thread pitch? We use a lot of tamper resistant stuff at work. If we have something that'll work, I can send you a couple.

I'll pull one tomorrow to be sure but I want to say they're m6x1.0 @5mm. I pulled one a few months ago and took it to Tacoma screw and they didn't have anything tamper proof.

The last resort would have to be using a dremel and making them one-way to tighten.

Thank you propav8r!

I also have a 242 and this is my way of getting into the car when the keys get locked in!
This post inspired me, what if we figure out a way to make a cover for the screw so it won't be so obvious... like a small black cap

I'll pull one tomorrow to be sure but I want to say they're m6x1.0 @5mm. I pulled one a few months ago and took it to Tacoma screw and they didn't have anything tamper proof.

The last resort would have to be using a dremel and making them one-way to tighten.

Thank you propav8r!

Sure thing. I'm not sure if we have anything metric or not, but we have boxes and boxes and boxes of tamper resistant stuff. I'll have to go down to the warehouse and take a look.

So I measured a screw from a 142 and a 242 and they're both 12-24 x ?" stainless steel oval head machine screws.

My searches don't turn up any oval head tamper proof screws in 12-24, so they'll probably be flat head instead.

Last edited:
Just put some epoxy in the head and clean it up.

When you need to remove the screws use a small pick....the thieves will just use a rock to break the window so your screws will be okay!

No such thing as a tamper proof screw, just tamper resistant. :nod:

Personally I would either use cheap tamper-resists or none at all, and cap/epoxy the screws to hide them.

Homer-Simpson-Doh.jpg

Just get a bumper sticker saying "Bomb on board" then put a few cheapo red led lights on bottom trunk area an rig for slow flashing.

My guess you'll just scare the $hit outa ppl. Also make'em think your a wacko soz they'll avoid you entirely.

Back