• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

knocking/banging sound when cranking

hessam69

Hi,

Two of my cars, a 79 242 and a 90 240 have this strange banging sound from under the car when I turn the key to KPIII, it's as though something is banging the body from the engine compartment during cranking, engine mounts maybe? They appear to be in OK condition...

Exhaust is hitting the unibody or fan blades are hitting the shroud.

Or your motor is ****ed.

Ratchet strap the motors so they can't move when you crank them, problem solved.

Get under the car and start looking @ mount with a flashlight. A mount can look good from the top but be "fubar" as Centason has stated. Best way to determine if they're dead check on bottom. Least thats what i've found.

Good chance it is the exhaust hitting the body and a broken motor mount is normally the cause. Those engines jump around quite a bit on startup. A easy way to check is to gently jack up the engine from the oil pan with a block of wood on a floor jack. It will not take much to see if the mounts separate. They normally come deboned at the top and the passenger side is the one that does the most work.

Have someone start the car for you so you can watch from outside.

have you checked to see if the engine mounts have separated...especially the pass side mount

If the Mm is in really bad condition, you'll notice it is either a lot more difficult, or even impossible to remove the oil filter...........

Sure if it is all deformed from being old and oil soaked but I have seen a few cheep mounts brake apart and look fine just sitting there. But yes I have also seen them so bad that the oil filter had a hole rubbed through it and it came in for an oil leak caused by the broken mount.

My trans mount died the other day, I thought the starter came loose. Turns out the mount didn't like it's oil bath.

Amen.
trans2112.jpg

Is there an issue with starters coming loose? I have worked with the Volvo product sense 1995 and have never seen a starter on a Volvo come loose. We are talking intimately involved with thousands of cars.

Is there an issue with starters coming loose? I have worked with the Volvo product sense 1995 and have never seen a starter on a Volvo come loose. We are talking intimately involved with thousands of cars.

Not that I know of. I've been working with Volvo's RWD product (specifically 240s) for 2/3 of that time (since 1999) and have seen and been intimately involved with over a dozen of them! :lol:

However, I have offered some notes in the hope it might help someone trying to get a Volvo starter to come loose: http://cleanflametrap.com/starter.html

Last edited:
Back