• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Strut Rod to Body Bushings

Hi lummert and thank you for all of your help.

Yeah, I was thinking they were discussing the later year 960s. That control arm bushing looks to need to be installed in a certain orientation.

So the type of bushing I installed in my control arm doesn't need to be oriented a certain way? besides being pressed in to the proper depth and the "collared" side facing the front.

I had another thought the other day: could I have installed the strut rods upside down? Or does this not matter.

Also, I noticed something else on my way to and from work today while driving more aggressively than I normally do. While accelerating pretty hard, at almost any speed, I would feel the vibrations begin and then it would persist. Pretty much the same outcome during negative acceleration.

And I have read the FAQ section you have linked, along with anything else I can get my hands on.

Anyway, thanks again and I really appreciate the help

Hi lummert and thank you,

For a while I thought it was the driveshaft, and could still be, but every component has been recently replaced with genuine or oe parts and everything moves freely with no slop. Also, no slop at the output of my m46 or differential.

I am not sure if I came across a solution, as the vibrations are intermittent, but I have nearly eliminated any steering wheel shake recently and get no other vibrations in my seat or feets. I jacked up the car and repositioned the strut mounts slightly to give max + caster and max - camber using the original bolt holes (i.e. I didn't perform the camber mod). I also loosened both strut rod bolts, lowered the car to the ground, jiggled/pushed/pulled on the car, and torqued to spec.

Any thoughts on this? I am thinking that the bushings found their happy place, but I've never read of someone getting vibrations from strut rod install error.

My other thought was that my car may just need more caster. I have cupped washers ready to place between the strut rod and control arm that would give me 6mm. I was also considering poly cone bushings and maybe poly rear strut rod bushings. Any thoughts on this?

I will likely drive until vibrations show up again, hopefully they won't.

Thanks you for any additional help

The strut rods come in 3 different lengths. I'm thinking that strut rods for the 92-94 960 were the best option.

Volvo 3530789 = 390.5 mm for standard chassis
Volvo 3553090 = 385 mm for vehicles with 16 inch wheels
Volvo 3530791 = 396 mm Genuine accessory Part.

Volvo 3530789 = 390.5 is listed as original fitment on
85-92 740
85-85 745
85-90 760
87-91 780
91-95 940
92-94 960

Last edited:
Back