• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there a difference?

At some time there was a transistion from a steel gearbox to an alloy gearbox, but I don't know when. But I would suspect mounting is the same.

The only diff is what Kevin mentioned. The o/d has a lot more pressure.
Of course the clutch is also stronger. But, they are interchangeable.
The alloy gearbox started in 87 or 88 model year.
Dave 82 242ti

Dave,
I thought the pressure plates on the turbos should be stronger (heavier springs ). I'm shopping for one, and I'm surprised to see that they(GAPA, MEGAPARTS,NEWANDUSEDVOLVOPARTS) list the same one for Turbos as N/A. The factory intercooled uses 228mm vs. 215mm for the non-factory, so they were trying to come up with more friction on the factory intercooled models, but I guess the pressure plates of the non factory intercooled models are the same as non-turbos. I'm not sure if this is right, or if these guys fitment charts are wrong. I have experienced some clutch slip with increased boost, hoped a new assembly would rectify that. And it may. I'd like to go to the bigger assembly, but I suspect flywheels may be difficult to locate. OK...now IPD lists clutch kits...with the non factory intercooled models listed separate from the N/A models ( and $ 87 more). So either they ARE different, and these other guys just list the weaker plate " because it fits", or they are NOT different, and IPD just sucks more $s from turbo owners. I wonder what Volvo says. I'd be afraid to ask after seeing a post saying Volvo wants $150 for a front corner lamp!!!

Back