• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tentshed's skid car....Supercharged b230f

I was lucky enough to see this car in action yesterday (and hopefully today!) I've gotta say it's crazier than pictures can do justice. The engine bay is bonkers, and the cars performance matches.
And the sound!
Just pure insanity!

Double post double edit.
Got called into work so I'm missing the end of the day here.
Neither car nor driver disappointed and I overheard more than a few groups of guys in the stands marvelling at this godlike 740.

Thanks for a great show this weekend man!

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the kind words! Had a blast at the last drift event!!!! car ran fantastic all weekend, minus the wastegate breaking off from the manifold at the end of the second day haha. 20+psi on a stock b230f makes for some rowdy action, seems to be able to keep up with the SR and mild RB 240sx crowd no problem! Mostly have just been working on seat time, although I did add dual rear sway bars and modded knuckles up front to gain some more steering angle. Oddly enough I ended up with a set of Ion alloy 16" rims, -5 offset that cleared everything perfectly! They used to be none other than the infamous Drifts and Lifts actually...funny how small the western Canada drift scene is lol.
With the season almost over the car will probably go into hibernation, the plan is to build a mild ft motor next with a decent flowing head and my rsi stage 3 and yoshi springs. I would like to track down a proper t5 trans, but amazingly enough the m46 is still hanging in there! I will probably do the swap just to minimize the possibility of breaking the driveline, I also have some Griffin 8.8 swap mounts, so if I can source a cheap Explorer rear that might go in too.
The goal is to just have a solid car that can handle multiple track days, but this season has been great learning how to skid and making many many new friends! People love the car and the noises it makes, honestly it puts a smile on everyone's face that rides in it, so I guess in that regard the project is done!
More to come tho��

Figured I'd add one last update, 2+ years later but figured I would post just for the sake of anyone else that cares about that sort of thing.
I took the twincharged setup off, it was neat but I had wicked boost creep and underhood heat issues, as anyone would expect cramming that much gear under a Volvo... I ended up going back to just a blower, overdriving it to the area of 18k blower speed rpm, putting in a ported 530 head, rsi stage 3 cam, valve springs, and converting to wasted spark with LS coils running a custom trigger wheel on the front crank. multiple water meth nozzles, and even running ice water in the intercooler tank on track days to keep the IATs from going insane. Almost 20psi from a roots is far past its efficiency point, but I was curious how far it would go. (I took apart the blower later, apart from some missing Teflon on the rotors it looked fine..)

Holy smokes, now it was making some power, 7000rpm redline, and fairly well calibrated butt dyno says 200hp with gobs of torque. sadly it started a chain of events that eventually killed my drive to keep refining the car. I twisted the keyways off 4 lower timing gears (fixed with a billet yoshifab one) I snapped the throttle shaft (fixed with a new linkage) blew up 2 m46s in one track day (within 6 hours of each other, including the swap lol) killed 3 power steering pumps (kept trying different coolers, I think a underdrive pulley would have fixed it) I did a t5 swap, got a few hours out of that, and then cylinder #1 melted a plug, and the debris actually caused a broken wrist pin and bent rod.

I made the call to part out the car, mostly because it had become one big living representation of "let's fix it tonight and drift it tomorrow" It was gross, hack, sloppy and not at all how I like to build stuff. As it was a track only car, I was spending $80 track fees plus fuel and other expenses to trailer it to the track and break it, just to spend all day working on it in the pits. In hindsight if you don't have a dyno keeping a car street legal is a very smart move if you are going to experiment with things. Live and learn.

All in all I have no ill feelings or regrets, it was fun to try, made great noises, and was a track favorite (other drivers said it was intimidating as heck to hear the blowing screaming up behind you!) I knew I was doing stuff the hard way, and handicapping my power potential (should have just had a 19t and called it a day haha) But it was a great learning tool, I got to get my feet wet in drifting, and met some very neat people along the way.

It looks like our local track is in trouble now, same old story of noise and general old grumps wanting it to go away, so I probably will stick to building street cars. One day I'd like a proper supercharged V8 Volvo, who knows...maybe one day I'll hear that screaming blower again, it sure is addictive! I hope anyone else that wants to try isn't turned off by my problems, tinkering for the sake of trying stuff without the fear of failure is something everyone should do!

Although I'm very sad to see that this car is going away, I totally understand the frustration of working on a car more often than enjoying it's wrath.

I wish you had some better pictures of how you made this all work as well! I'd love to put an M90 on a 240 except I'd probably try to sneak it in the pocket where a turbo normally sits, keep AC, and keep the boost levels pretty mild. I just can't really wrap my head around how or where an extra belt can be routed. Is your crank pulley all custom? No more damper?

Back