• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"The Ghost" 65' 122s Project

sspony

Well I guess its about time I start a project thread for this car. I'm sure I'll edit this at some point but here's a start...

This past fall I had the oppurtunity to buy one of my bucket list cars. I hadn't planned to own one for another couple of years. However; the price/location/condition all aligned and I couldn't pass up the chance.

Winter was almost upon us when I trailered my new project home. A 1965 Volvo 122s with a b18 and manual 4spd transmission. White exterior and redish/brownish interior.

picture.php

The car was in decent shape so I didn't want to get any salt on it. That decision made, it was put away for the winter.

Now that spring is here, I have started the process of making it a fair weather daily driver with some slight upgrades/mods and maintenance.

Started buying the parts for a tune-up/stage 0 and was appalled at the price for the air filters. Being the good t-bricker I am I set off to find a better aka "cheaper" solution haha.
Here's a link to how I made them and the details http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=307194 .... this is what I ended up with:
image_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Skinny tires we're one of the first things that had to go. I think these cars look great except for the fact that the wheels dont even begin to fill out the wheel wells. With some help from the t-bricks community I was able to determine the different specs I would have to find in a wheel/tire combo.
I came across some old aluminum dodge truck turbine/hurricane wheels that we're $20 each and figured i'd give it a shot and try something a little different. They are 15"x7" with a 5x4.5" bolt pattern and 0 et. Had some junk tires mounted to them for size/clearance test fitting. I'm planning to black these wheels out as well.

Old Wheels with Stock Springs:
picture.php

New Wheels with Stock Springs:
picture.php

After this test fit it was clear that I needed to go with my original plan to lower the car. Cutting wheel, bench grinder and some torch time and its down about 1.75" on all four corners. Along with this I installed Koni Classic adjustable shocks on all four corners and new poly bushings on the lower control arms and sway bar end links. Also installed new rubber bushings on the upper control arm bushings. A friend of mine recommended poly on the bottom and rubber on top.

New Wheels blacked out with Cut Springs:
picture.php

Plasti-dipped the wheels black for a concept test and put some 205-60-15 Yokahama Avid Envigor tires on. They have a narrower tread width (6.5" rather the typical 7.5") then most 205 tires so it gives a little extra clearance on a lowered car.

Items I still plan to address short term:
-upgrade to a crane electronic ignition (done)
-upgrade to an alternator (done)
-convert brake/indicator lights to LED (indicators done)
-install aftermarket stereo (nothing crazy, just something decent) (done)
-fix interior fan
-repair interior (done)
-install later model 4-2-1 exhaust manifold/down pipe/2" exhaust

Items I plan to address long term:
-repaint
-new interior
-rebuild motor
-(don't hold me to this but....) Judson/Equivalent supercharger

Last edited:
That's why I used plati-dip to black them out. Great for testing color schemes without actually commiting to the color! I'll post some pics up later today. Got the wheels on the car last night.

Nice, dude! Im subscribing as well. What you did with those filters is MINT! I want! Funny were doing our cars around the same time, and they look so similar. Except yours is in very good shape, hahah.

I'll admit it looks better in the pictures then it actually is. The upholstery needs help and a paint job will be required soon. It's cool that we're at the same stage on such similar cars, we'll have to share info as we go. I've been out of town for the last 2 weeks of work so the project has been on hold. Should get back into it this weekend! Electronic ignition is first on the list!

I'll admit it looks better in the pictures then it actually is. The upholstery needs help and a paint job will be required soon. It's cool that we're at the same stage on such similar cars, we'll have to share info as we go. I've been out of town for the last 2 weeks of work so the project has been on hold. Should get back into it this weekend! Electronic ignition is first on the list!

Yea, definitely! All im trying to do for now is bring it up to daily standards. As soon as I get to that point, i will start hammering at cosmetics. that will be a slow roll, though.

I recently upgraded to E-ignition. Its so easy, EXCEPT i had an issue screwing in the place onto the dizzy. The screw that came with it was slightly too big. Had to wedge it through. And than i had the car shut down on me as i was turning into my neighborhood once. A small wire that connects to the coil wrapped around the steering pole, tore right off, hahaha.

judging from those gorgious filters, you seem to know what your doing:cool:

Awesome, which setup did you use? And thanks, but we'll call that those filters beginners luck. Time and money tend to be the biggest restriction on how "nice" a project is. I'm gonna try to keep the car clean. I think less is more on the older cars. I'll be sure to update this thread when significant progress is made.

Awesome, which setup did you use? And thanks, but we'll call that those filters beginners luck. Time and money tend to be the biggest restriction on how "nice" a project is. I'm gonna try to keep the car clean. I think less is more on the older cars. I'll be sure to update this thread when significant progress is made.

I agree, im not trying to go crazy on my car either. It'll be mostly stock for now under the hood.
The e-ignition im using is http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7537/105629-pertronix-breakerless-ignition-cast-iron-distributors.

This weekend should be a good one for progress. Hopefully I can get the crane ignition And a few other things taken care of.

Finally got the car on the road!!! Drove it to work the past two days. New plugs/wires and a little adjustment to the timing and it's running great.

The car came with a hole cut in the dash so I decided to fix that as well.

Also got the seats all fixed up. Needed some new hardware, prob will have to re-upholster eventually.

Also put some new halogen headlights in. They are awesome and really light things up nicely. If you have time they're only $4 each from Rockauto, if your in a rush like I was there about $8 each at walmart.
I personally would not spend the money on the h4 conversion after seeing how well these cheap halogens did.

Last edited:
Back