• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Blown Powersteering Rack (1jz swap)

Streetkarnage

Hi everybody,

Had a bit of a problem with rack, I'm trying to work out what would have been the cause of it.

I blew the rack out the top seal, personally I have never heard of this happen... so makes me think something is wrong. This was when I was getting my car to tuner, unloaded the car and then it just blew when we tried to drive it around the trailer.

My thoughts are,

the 1jz powersteering pump has too much pressure for the volvo rack.
(but I have never read this in other people that have done the swap)

The lines are back the front.

or just simply the seal was stuffed and it just didn't hold.
(Is it a common thing)

any info on volvo steering rack pressures or even a diagram of the rack? any info that will help will be very appreciated!

Thanks guys,
Zak.

k-jet.org has the greenbooks with diagrams and the pressures.

Not sure if they used both the ZF and the CAM racks on the we drive on the wrong side of the road cars or not :)

Thanks I check it out.

to tell you the truth I'm not sure either hahaha I'll hopefully get to the shed in the next day or two to check what rack it is.

well from this website... http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/STEERING/steering_camgears_trw.htm

its a TRW

note small TRW symbol opposite one of the banjo hose bolts
Quality Cast Alloy rack with steel tube sleeve is found from year 1988 onwards.
Pic shows a late 1996 version.
The round casting at the front holds a black plastic locking plug for pre-tensioning the piston (rather than shims on CamGear versions 1-3), and at the bottom a pressed steel dome seals the shaft axial end

TRW_1996_front.JPG

Back