• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brand new '81 262C Bertone Coupe . . .

It has the '81 (Turbo) dash which is probably the worst issue on the car. It is going to have to be replaced or capped. Probably worth it to find the best appropriate dash in the US. No 'blue box' that I have found but did have a trunk finish matching 'pouch' for the jack and tools. Never seen that before.

Carpetd jack bag Bertone only!You may want to place a want ad for a dash.Very hard to find a tan dash in good condition.A black one would look good too.A black and tan one from an 88 240 will work too.

The only combo not covered by some of the club sites and not seen in the US is gold with black leather interior.Strangest thing,found an original one like that in France!

the bertone had a super special undersize expanding spare tire. you may notice the rear doesn't have a butt cheek on either side of the back end. the gt's were also sans butt cheek.

My '80 Bertone was cheekless and had the uninflated spare but this one has cheeks and a standard inflated temp spare. Perhaps why I don't have the pump.

Perhaps another indication that it is indeed an '81 even though the chassis number info doesn't seem to jive with that on the link listed above....

Wonder if the chassis number info could be 'build year' instead of model year? My last '09 WRX bought in Jan. of '09 was built in Aug. of '08. I don't know - grasping at straws.

That was my thought. The chassis was built in Sweden as some time before the car was shipped to Italy and officially 'manufactured'. That could have well been a year or at least enough time to cross the model year end/start date.

I did find an '81 paint color chart and it displays both the gold/bronze and the complete gold so either would be correct.

Nowhere have I found other than the 14" Corona wheels as Volvo correct for the '81. And mine are 15".

Your comment does raise a question: Volvo was phasing out the Coupes in '81. Does anyone have any production number information on the Coupes by year. Wouldn't it be neat to have the last one. The VINumber ends in 0899. I am active on another vehicle forum and they have the production numbers down to; by color by year, by coupe, by convertible. Anything like that over here in Swed land?

production number information:

http://www.volvobertone.com/262prod.html

That's what we were discussing. My chassis number falls in the '80 section although the car was clearly certified as an '81 model year.

NONHOG, I just reread your post!

Swapping the wagon's 14" Coronas with brand new tires (205/70-14) onto the Bertone is a great solution. The Bertone originally came with 60 series but the 70's would look a lot more correct than the 15" non standard wheels. Painting them black with the polished rims would also go well with the silver wagon.

Great suggestion!

Next you might suggest that I swap the engines too.

Lots of info that doesn't seem to line up. Is "chassis number" same as "VIN number"? The link just provided by R-AWD (hi Tom) shows a bunch of '81 numbers they call "Chassis Number" -- but they have the "YV....." designation that seems to match up with "VIN number". Clearly - the 6539 number shows up clearly as a 1980 model that was originally exported to Germany with the B27 version of the V6. But that's not what powers this one.....something big is amiss...

If your vin # looks like this [forget the YV1... stuff] BD00899,your car is an 81 coupe.Where B=model year 81 and D = country made,Italy.The wheels on your car more than likely and absent an original window sticker came later.

hey testpoint, when you dig into getting the car running, i have all the fuel delivery stuff for a b28f since i'm transplanting a d24t into mine. i'll send you whatever you need, for a pittance. the motor was running when i pulled it, with good compression all the way around. it was the POS aw55 that took a dump.

pgringo,

Thanks! Stand by!

Got a good battery to play with will spend the afternoon seeing what happens.

Wish I had spent more time trying to find a home for my D24 engine out of my 245 wagon before sending it to the scrap yard. No one seemed to want anything and I was going to deliver for the shipping cost.

Last edited:
Wish I had spent more time trying to find a home for my D24 engine out of my 245 wagon before sending it to the scrap yard. No one seemed to want anything and I was going to deliver for the shipping cost.

Same way I feel about the B28F. I can't help but wonder if some of the PRV fans have tips and tricks to keep them running?
If it does die (after you've become attached) will it be another 5.0 swap? LS? or find a donor 960? :cool: Back to the basics. 1st things 1st. LOL

Current thought is to restore the Bertone as original. Just had the first setback . . . need a battery, a VOLVO blue labeled battery. Bet that may be at a premium above Advance AP with their 20% off on-line code.

Haven't thought about another swap. Still a few days away from getting the wagon running.

Before you go spending primo money on a volvo battery make sure everything else is working fine.The battery is the least thing to worry about in your restoration

Just stole the battery out of the golf cart. 'Economy' brand.

Removed spark plugs and they had been changed but were black with soot. Pulled the fuel pump fuses. Shot 3cc of ATF into each cylinder and spun the starter for several minutes, 20 seconds at a time over 30 minutes. Buttoned it all back up and shot starter fluid under the throttle plate.

Started right up!

Tries to run but obviously has a fuel problem. Guess I should put a few gallons in the tank just to be sure. I have a used fuel distributor that was purchased by the mechanic but not installed. Could be the fuel pump relay also. After I verify that fuel is getting to the distributor and still no start guess it is time to change it.

Tomorrow . . . tomorrow . . . .

How old is that fuel Tom? Until/unless you get some fresh fuel in it, don't jump to too many conclusions. I'd put a filter in it - fresh fuel and see what you get then.

I thought I would jumper the pumps to pump what little fuel is in the tank out of the car and put in 5 gals of fresh gas. It does have a new filter.

Last edited:
Vivid memories of a buddy chasing the tune on his Weber carbed vintage MG Midget racer all over creation in the cold at Watkins Glen -- only to discover after tearing apart carb and ignition that the 'problem' was old fuel in the cell. I doubt you'll get that lucky -- but at least you'll remove that variable.

Back