home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > article composition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #501
nitroboie
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirish1234 View Post
also, ran it hard last Wednesday and came back to find out cyl 2-3 had stopped firing. ohmed out my wire harness and everything checked out. going to take the board apart and see if a connection broke or something. has anyones board failed on this way?
Haven't had a board failure in either of my two installs.

The only failure I've had was when the crimp on the 12v for my coil pack broke when I floored it to get away from traffic, yeah... That was embarrassing.

Hope you find out why you're down a bank.
__________________
'90 244
'94 945T ipd cam, springs, sways, brace, 16T, TLAO chips, wasted spark, do88 IC
nitroboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #502
bugjam1999
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

Hi all,

So I managed to desolder and detach one of the solder pads from the wasted spark board... damn. Thought I was better at soldering than that. Too much heat I guess, although i wasn’t attempting to attach a huge gauge wire so I didn’t have the soldering iron tip on the wire and pad for long.

Take heed of my tale of woe and be extra careful soldering!

Suppose I’ll order another. Perhaps after a beer.

Cheers
bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #503
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjam1999 View Post
Hi all,

So I managed to desolder and detach one of the solder pads from the wasted spark board... damn. Thought I was better at soldering than that. Too much heat I guess, although i wasn’t attempting to attach a huge gauge wire so I didn’t have the soldering iron tip on the wire and pad for long.

Take heed of my tale of woe and be extra careful soldering!

Suppose I’ll order another. Perhaps after a beer.

Cheers
Have that beer, but then PM me your name & address and I'll send you a replacement board, on the house. I'll just ask you to cover shipping. Mistakes happen!
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #504
bugjam1999
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Have that beer, but then PM me your name & address and I'll send you a replacement board, on the house. I'll just ask you to cover shipping. Mistakes happen!
Wow- that’s unexpected and really nice of you!

Cheers!
bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #505
Mbeas96
Board Member
 
Mbeas96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston
Default

I've beat my head against a wall for 3 weeks+ and can't figure it out. I honestly don't know (some say yes) that this issue is even WS related.

Here's the nonperformance thread.
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=352545

It's pretty long so here's the important stuff..

Car is a 1990 745 lh2.4 16t Buchka wasted spark conversion board installed ~2years ago, miata igniter, bosh 2x2 coil pack, NPR IC, injectors are currently green giants JUST to rule out leaking injectors, normally run t5 injectors. 954 ecu and ezk are chipped from sbabbs.

Car won't start after long sits in colder weather. First start of the day depending on how cold it is will vary from 10min to an hour and a half...but it will eventually start. After the first warm up, car starts everytime without hesitation, even after 4ish hour breaks in colder weather.

Ive tested and replaced so many things...I've come up with nothing.

My question, how do I confirm the WS spark board is performing properly and my connections from the board are okay? I have checked for continuity in all my connections in the engine bay, but I'm unsure how to test other parts of the system. I have visually inspected all connections from the ezk board to the igniter, but come up with nothing.

It seems all my electrical testing are limited to when the car won't start...as soon as it starts, it will not repeat symptoms till the following morning.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
You are not a man unless you've thrown up at a turbobricks meet.

My build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=340910
Mbeas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #506
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeas96 View Post
I've beat my head against a wall for 3 weeks+ and can't figure it out. I honestly don't know (some say yes) that this issue is even WS related.

Here's the nonperformance thread.
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=352545

It's pretty long so here's the important stuff..

Car is a 1990 745 lh2.4 16t Buchka wasted spark conversion board installed ~2years ago, miata igniter, bosh 2x2 coil pack, NPR IC, injectors are currently green giants JUST to rule out leaking injectors, normally run t5 injectors. 954 ecu and ezk are chipped from sbabbs.

Car won't start after long sits in colder weather. First start of the day depending on how cold it is will vary from 10min to an hour and a half...but it will eventually start. After the first warm up, car starts everytime without hesitation, even after 4ish hour breaks in colder weather.

Ive tested and replaced so many things...I've come up with nothing.

My question, how do I confirm the WS spark board is performing properly and my connections from the board are okay? I have checked for continuity in all my connections in the engine bay, but I'm unsure how to test other parts of the system. I have visually inspected all connections from the ezk board to the igniter, but come up with nothing.

It seems all my electrical testing are limited to when the car won't start...as soon as it starts, it will not repeat symptoms till the following morning.
You can scope the 1-4 and 2-3 output signals from the wasted spark board, into the igniter module. If you see a signal there at 2x engine speed frequency on both channels while cranking, then the WS board is likely not your issue.
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #507
Mbeas96
Board Member
 
Mbeas96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Charleston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
You can scope the 1-4 and 2-3 output signals from the wasted spark board, into the igniter module. If you see a signal there at 2x engine speed frequency on both channels while cranking, then the WS board is likely not your issue.
Awesome. Looks like I'm finally getting a oscilloscope and learning how to use it. Thank you sir.
Mbeas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:39 PM   #508
fridazadilak
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Devon, UK
Default

Spending New Year trying to figure out the electrical gremlins with fitting this wasted spark kit.

Got a 93 240 with a Buchka board, Bosch 2x2 cool and J702T ignitor.

Issues...The ignitor gets hot when cranking to check for spark. Like hot enough to cause a blister on my finger after cranking it for one second.

Then there's no spark when cranking, but when the ignition is on position 2 you get random sparks across all for leads.

Finally, the sparks still continue after the ignitor is removed (and I melted a work glove in the process of remove the ignitor).

Any ideas?
fridazadilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:34 AM   #509
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridazadilak View Post
Spending New Year trying to figure out the electrical gremlins with fitting this wasted spark kit.

Got a 93 240 with a Buchka board, Bosch 2x2 cool and J702T ignitor.

Issues...The ignitor gets hot when cranking to check for spark. Like hot enough to cause a blister on my finger after cranking it for one second.

Then there's no spark when cranking, but when the ignition is on position 2 you get random sparks across all for leads.

Finally, the sparks still continue after the ignitor is removed (and I melted a work glove in the process of remove the ignitor).

Any ideas?
My initial reaction is: it sounds like a short. Have you checked for shorts with a continuity tester or multimeter?
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #510
SEslayer
Dumber than I look.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand
Default

Just to clarify, the ezk box should work as normal still after instilation? I have the board installed and plugged in my gold ezk just to ensure i diddnt fry the board or something silly. The car runs like crap on it, and wont idle.
I didnt test the ezk before i wired it in. But wanted to ask before i remove it and try again on my current ezk.
__________________
1992 945 Turbo CD009
1979 244 GLE - the ladys car
1989 745 Turbo -Swapped for a KP61 starlet
1985 360 - Crushed
1990 740 GLE 16V - Crushed
1990 740 Turbo - Crushed
1972 164 - Mid Resto

1992 Nissan GTIR pulsar. - likely my coffin.
SEslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #511
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEslayer View Post
Just to clarify, the ezk box should work as normal still after instilation? I have the board installed and plugged in my gold ezk just to ensure i diddnt fry the board or something silly. The car runs like crap on it, and wont idle.
I didnt test the ezk before i wired it in. But wanted to ask before i remove it and try again on my current ezk.
The wasted spark board acts as an electronic distributor of sorts, making the ignition trigger signal alternate between the two new coil outputs. It acts as a piggyback and shouldn't affect the function of the EZK at all other than splitting the output.

Check your installation to be sure you didn't melt anything that shouldn't have been melted, or that there isn't a blob of solder shorting two terminals somewhere.

Also, did you swap the 1-4 and 2-3 output wires when you installed the board? They have to be swapped on the black boards because of a programming error.
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #512
SEslayer
Dumber than I look.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
The wasted spark board acts as an electronic distributor of sorts, making the ignition trigger signal alternate between the two new coil outputs. It acts as a piggyback and shouldn't affect the function of the EZK at all other than splitting the output.

Check your installation to be sure you didn't melt anything that shouldn't have been melted, or that there isn't a blob of solder shorting two terminals somewhere.

Also, did you swap the 1-4 and 2-3 output wires when you installed the board? They have to be swapped on the black boards because of a programming error.
I havent swapped them but i did note it on the box, i wasnt sure if it was still on this current batch but i was just planning on swapping plug leads until it worked if it diddnt.

I might have brunt something, but i did check with a sparky at my work (im a maingenance engineer) and he said it all looked dandy.
One little thing i did make an oopsie on though was the iron touched a little yellow plastic thing on the board. Melted the corner of it but diddnt show metal. Other than that it all looked fine. Ill pull it out again tomorrow and check but i took good quality photos before i finnished. Its c106 on the board that i melted a bit. Ill check all my joints to ensure i diddnt melt anything.


SEslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #513
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEslayer View Post
I havent swapped them but i did note it on the box, i wasnt sure if it was still on this current batch but i was just planning on swapping plug leads until it worked if it diddnt.

I might have brunt something, but i did check with a sparky at my work (im a maingenance engineer) and he said it all looked dandy.
One little thing i did make an oopsie on though was the iron touched a little yellow plastic thing on the board. Melted the corner of it but diddnt show metal. Other than that it all looked fine. Ill pull it out again tomorrow and check but i took good quality photos before i finnished. Its c106 on the board that i melted a bit. Ill check all my joints to ensure i diddnt melt anything.


Swapping plug leads won't fix the 1-4 / 2-3 mix-up. You have to swap the output wires that run from the wasted spark board to the ignition module (power stage).
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #514
SEslayer
Dumber than I look.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand
Default Any ezk on turbo car?

Will any ezk work on a turbo car?
I read that the ignition maps are different, are they different enough to cause a turbo car isses with wasted spark?
Want to try again, im a dork and superglued before i tested and think i may have stuffed a joint up as the car wont run in stock configuration with the wasted spark installed on the board.
SEslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #515
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts
 
smoothdurban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LaSalle ON
Default

I know someone has mentioned this before in one of their build threads but I cant seem to find it.

Anyone using an OEM type bracket for Bosch 2X2 Coil? I know range rover used this type coil pack but their OEM bracket is for 2 coil packs.

Thanks
__________________
1983 242 Turbo w Tremec T5 150,000 km's B230FT LH2.4
1991 240 Wagon w m47 Winter DD 440,000 km's!
2005 S40i Sedan w M56 Summer DD with 140,000 km's

Last edited by smoothdurban; 03-05-2020 at 09:43 AM..
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #516
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothdurban View Post
I know someone has mentioned this before in one of their build threads but I cant seem to find it.

Anyone using an OEM type bracket for Bosch 2X2 Coil? I know range rover used this type coil pack but their OEM bracket is for 2 coil packs.

Thanks
Late reply, sorry...but I used an OE coil bracket from a late '90s / early 2000s Ford Escort 1.9L with EDIS to mount the Bosch 2x2 coil pack. It had the same bolt pattern and interface dimensions. I modified the bracket to bolt onto a redblock near the 240 distributor location, just above the freeze plug you'd see on a 740/940.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=475





Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:23 AM   #517
kodja
Board Member
 
kodja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Norway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Late reply, sorry...but I used an OE coil bracket from a late '90s / early 2000s Ford Escort 1.9L with EDIS to mount the Bosch 2x2 coil pack. It had the same bolt pattern and interface dimensions. I modified the bracket to bolt onto a redblock near the 240 distributor location, just above the freeze plug you'd see on a 740/940.
that was actually supernice!!!
__________________
98' 945 LT RF stereo, aprx. 2600watt RMS Dynamic bodykit, 18" rims, Black leather 965 interior, bilstein + ipd swaybars +++

82' 242 (Turboproject) C70 two-coloured leather and alcantara seats (electical adjusted), Harman/Kardon amps++
kodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #518
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts
 
smoothdurban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LaSalle ON
Default

Ford PN appears to be F5CZ12257BA

https://parts.roeschford.com/v-2001-...rtrain-control

Thanks
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #519
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodja View Post
that was actually supernice!!!
Thank you; I'd like to start making my own version from scratch and offer them on my website along with plug wires, connectors, and harnesses. This version of the bracket would only fit an engine with 240 accessory brackets and the distributor removed. For those running the 940 style accessories the bracket would have to pick up off of different bolt holes on the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothdurban View Post
Ford PN appears to be F5CZ12257BA

https://parts.roeschford.com/v-2001-...rtrain-control

Thanks
That's the one; you bet. It was a lot quicker for me to chop & weld this bracket than it would've been to cobble one up from scratch, for the prototype anyway.
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #520
Msi
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: TLV, IL
Default

How does one purchase the buchka wasted spark kit?
Is there a separate order thread? Or by PM/mail/website? If so which?

Thanks in advance!!
Matthew.
Msi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #521
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msi View Post
How does one purchase the buchka wasted spark kit?
Is there a separate order thread? Or by PM/mail/website? If so which?

Thanks in advance!!
Matthew.
Hi, I'm handling all sales through my website https://cflomoto.com/. We can ship worldwide and this interface really streamlined the process. Let me know if you have any questions.
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #522
Msi
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: TLV, IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Hi, I'm handling all sales through my website https://cflomoto.com/. We can ship worldwide and this interface really streamlined the process. Let me know if you have any questions.
Oh, so I tried ordering from this site, but found out that USPS currently does not ship to Israel, and with UPS the total price is very steep.
Msi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #523
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msi View Post
Oh, so I tried ordering from this site, but found out that USPS currently does not ship to Israel, and with UPS the total price is very steep.
Hi, yes that's the situation unfortunately. Sorry I didn't realize you were the same person. I can ship via DHL as well, if they are operating as usual and are more affordable. Try adding the board to your cart and selecting DHL to see the rates.

I believe DHL is shipping from US to Israel perhaps with a small delay: https://www.simplydhl.com/covid-19updates
Duder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #524
Msi
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: TLV, IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Hi, yes that's the situation unfortunately. Sorry I didn't realize you were the same person. I can ship via DHL as well, if they are operating as usual and are more affordable. Try adding the board to your cart and selecting DHL to see the rates.

I believe DHL is shipping from US to Israel perhaps with a small delay: https://www.simplydhl.com/covid-19updates
Will try. Thanks!!
Msi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #525
Msi
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: TLV, IL
Default

I have 96' 940t with a black plastic EZK box which I expanded with a daughter board from ClassicSwede

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/EZK_D..._17042139.aspx

I also have an EZK chip installed into it.

I have two questions that I hope this is the right place to ask:

1. Will the buchka wasted spark kit be compatible with my setup?

2. How does the buchka wasted spark kit compare to the wasted spark kit that is offered by ClassicSwede -

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Waste..._17042140.aspx

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
Msi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.