home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #76
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
I think you've found it!!!

3 shorted to 5 is very bad, the shield should connect to ground and nothing else. If it's shorted to pin 5, it grounds the spark signal from EZK to powerstage, and you'll get no spark. I'd guess that the accident damaged the cable and either the accident, or the repair, caused the short. I'll find a picture of shielded cable tomorrow -- it has an insulated center wire surrounded by a metal woven shielding sleeve. They should not contact.

Can you peel back the plastic harness sleeving a couple inches? If so, the quick&dirty test would be to cut the pin 3 shield wire a couple inches from the connector (do it so you can reconnect it later if needed). The shield connection isn't necessary for startup, but might be needed to prevent occasional misfire.
Boom. Pushed pin 3 out and I got spark.

Put it together and turned the key, nothing.

Somehow the little button in the distributor cap fell out, popped another one on and now it sputters but won't roar. I can't see the timing mark cause it's too bright right now, so I dunno what it's at. Injectors are firing and fuel pump is running, but it's a new setup and I don't have a way of checking the pressure.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #77
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Injectors 2 and 3 have no pulse at all. Tried a different ECU. No accident damage to any of the wiring harness other than the powerstage.
Cwazywazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #78
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

What are you doing to check injector pulse?

Does it run on brake cleaner?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #79
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
What are you doing to check injector pulse?

Does it run on brake cleaner?
Multimeter on the pins. Runs on brake clean.

I have a crappy connection somewhere that I can't find. I was messing with it and the FPR started buzzing and now it doesn't do anything. No injector pulse at all in 1/4 anymore.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #80
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Runs on brake cleaner!!! Great! That means your spark is alive and well. You should be able to keep it running on brake cleaner by pulsing it into the throttle body.

The wiring commonly rots out under the intake manifold. I would put one end of the meter on a terminal at the injector plug and the other meter lead at the ECU end of the circuit and wiggle test the wiring harness and see if resistance changes, or if there's an open circuit.

DO YOU HAVE POWER TO ALL FOUR INJECTORS??? I'm not certain a meter would show the switching. A noid light or test lamp would be better.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #81
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

No power. I had some power but my messing around made it disappear.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #82
bobxyz
Board Member

Nice to see the progress

Your harness has provisions for low impedance Turbo injectors and a resistor pack. One wire from each of the injectors runs to the resistor pack connector. For non-turbo high impedance injectors, there should be a shorting plug in the r-pack connector. It shorts all 4 wires to a single power wire. Look that over and see if it's damaged/loose.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #83
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

102kohms on the injector power wire (pin 1) to 4 pole plug pin 3. Same value if I go to pin 5 of the FPR connector. Same for all injectors. Didn't change at all with vigorous harness jiggling.

EDIT: No ballast resistor provisions. My harness is high impedance only.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #84
bobxyz
Board Member

OK, all 4 injectors are wired in parallel. With key off, and all 4 unplugged, check the resistance at connector pin 1 to pin 1 to pin 1 to pin 1, and then the same for pin 2. That will at least check that they're wired together OK and the problem is further down the harness. You can also turn the key on and see if you have +12v power on either pin.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #85
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

All wired together fine, no 12v.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #86
bobxyz
Board Member

Depending on your harness, the injectors may be powered from the fuel pump power. If so, you won't have injector power until the fuel pumps turn on. Are you pumps on all the time -- I think you had wired the cabin 4-pin big yel/red wire directly to ign power. Have you tried wiggling the EZK connector? [gotta go run some errands, I'll check in tomorrow.]
Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #87
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Well, took a closer look at the harness guide and wired the yellow wire on the 4 pin to switched power. Injectors are doing their thing now and it fires on gas but I can't get it to stay running.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #88
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

Take a look at the plugs. If they are fouled you'll need to clean or change them. If it still won't stay running I'd look at the spray pattern of the injectors. If you still suspect wiring. You may want to make sure the switched power is on during cranking and key on.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #89
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Longest run at about 50s. It just dies out. Unplugging MAF and TPS made no difference.

EDIT: So it'll stay running if I mash the gas and keep revs high but it refuses to idle at all. Cleaned MAF/tried a spare.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 02-02-2019 at 09:26 PM..
Old 02-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #90
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

I'd check the plugs. See what's going on in a cylinder or two. Probably a massive vacuum leak or fouling the plugs from a bad spray pattern. That is the type of symptom a couple of cars that I worked on recently had. Both cars had bad spray patterns fouling the plugs or on the 244 a couple were completly clogged.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #91
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Changed plugs and ran the injectors through the ultrasonic cleaner. No change. When it does run it sounds like it's firing all cylinders but it just dies if I touch the gas. I did get it idling super high without dying after changing plugs. Then I took the key out and it kept running.

#1 on top.

It might be running on a little diesel.. It smokes super bad. I couldn't siphon all the diesel, but I got most of it and poured in about 5 gallons of 93.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 02-03-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #92
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

Those things look beat. Not sure what's up with it running key off. Maybe a different location for one of the power connections for the computers?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #93
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Those things look beat. Not sure what's up with it running key off. Maybe a different location for one of the power connections for the computers?
Yeah, not concerned about that right now. I disconnected coil power to shut it down. What could cause it to just die out if I touch the gas?

Edit. I was thinking vacuum leak but I'm pretty sure unplugging the maf would allow it to run in that case. Same with tps, should run okay with it unplugged if that were the issue. I'll have to get some white paint or something and verify timing.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 02-03-2019 at 03:50 PM..
Old 02-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #94
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

Made a lot of progress! Glad it is running.
Acceleration is done by the fuel pressure regulator vacuum port. The ignition computer advancing the timing. The knock sensor can cause problems with the timing being pulled if it's detecting false knock. That will make the acceleration suck. But you are saying it doesn't even rev up and stay running. The plugs looked pretty fouled. I'd like to see one of the new ones after running a bit. I would also suggest if the fuel tank is as you describe. I would put more fuel in there to try and get the mix to be all gas.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #95
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Well.. I decided to check the oil. I checked it before I tried starting it at all and it was fairly low on the dipstick. Now it's full of gas.

Due for a change anyway.. I changed the oil like 50 miles after the rebuild and I've just been topping it off and it got a filter change at one point. Probably at least 12k on that oil.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #96
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Can you keep it running on brake cleaner???? (Injectors unplugged)
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #97
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

ECT is fine, compared against a new one. Found some white paint from my model car build (never finished it) and set base timing to -10. Changed the oil and with MAF and TPS unplugged, after about 20 tries, it caught and ran. Died instantly when I touched the throttle.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #98
dl242gt
300+hp on the shelf club

You mean 10 before top dead center correct? If you set the timing to -10 that would contribute to the problems.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #99
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
You mean 10 before top dead center correct? If you set the timing to -10 that would contribute to the problems.
Isn't that what -10 means, 10 degrees before TDC?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #100
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Turns out both the MAF out of the wagon and my spare were bad. Found another buried in the depths of my parts hoard. Now it fires up and revs fine but won't hold a good idle.