• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16V B234 Cam timing, whats the cover marks?

Ilvmetal

Just pure curiosity, I've been using the markings on the timing cover for my TDC cam alignment marks which are at 12 o'clock.
Now i'm running without the cover and the notches on the valve cover appear to be 10 Deg off that 12 mark.
Any idea what the valve cover marks are for?

]
4nzt9TV.jpg

As far as I know, they’re just to confuse you. Timing cover is what you need to go off of.

I've always used them :shrug:

Using the valve cover marks, I had piston to valve issues with the bigger cams. Using the plastic timing cover marks they were fine. I ended up notching the pistons to clear at +/- 10deg @ crank no I'd have full range of the adjustable cam gears.

which cams? were the pistons not flycut before?
I don't have adjustable gears for mine, I've run my junk straight up (or accidentally off a tooth :whooops: )

Customs 16v hydraulic cams I had made, similar in spec to what YoshiFab sells now. The pistons were already cut for valve reliefs, but they needed about another 1.5-2.5mm

Last edited:
So does anybody make a timing tool for those who run without a cover, similar to the STS one for the 8v?

Back