• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Odometer Repair on a 1992 245

What does that k number represent? I've always wondered this..

The K-number represents the Kounts per mile. The number of pulses from the sensor at the differential's tone ring per mile traveled. The K9800 just indicates the gauge is for a wagon, and the K10042 from a sedan. It says nothing about the year of the cluster that it fits except that it is 86-91. Those clusters are not all "interchangeable."

I have a question about 240 (244 in this case) odometers. Just replaced the gears on my 1989 244 and the odometer is working (i.e., moving and adding "miles"). I thought I was lucky as I've heard of repaired odometers not working, taking a while to wake up, etc, and had a "late awakening" issue myself when I repleced the odometer's gears on my other volvo (1989, 245). But this time, on the 244, I've found that the counters for the total mileage and for the trip mileage are going at different rythms!!! I thought they both moved driven by the back 15 tooth gear wheel and therefore they were supposed to show the same increments !!....well, as an example, for each 5 "miles" increment on the trip counter, I get about 7-8 "miles" increment on the total mileage counter. It's as if one was counting miles and the other km!! Any ideas about how this could be happening?

Thanks!!!

Xavier

If the trip odometer reset button hasn't been pushed all the way it to reset it, the gears will skip. IOW, you could very easily see two different readings accruing.

Or, a broken tooth from the original gear jamming the gear assembly. I had one do this until I finally found the stray tooth and removed it

this.

I had to blow my odometer out with compressed air after i replaced the broken gear for it work reliably

ahh just swapped out my whole cluster for a new one out of a 93 with a tach and the odo was very intermittently working with the new gear, was wondering why haha good info gonna go home and try this wiggle it wethod

The beater 80's Celica I got had this 80's high-tech electrical HVAC control. Which was flaky as can be, the led lights were flickery and unsteady, and the heater blend door actuator mostly wouldn't do anything when the temp slider was slid back and forth.

Took it all out and the circuit board looked fine at first glance. But I got out a magnifying glass and looked *CLOSELY* at solder joints, and began to notice flaws in them, very exceedingly faint cracks in circles. I don't have great eyes, but I couldn't see these with the naked eye at all.

I got out a tiny tipped soldering iron and remelted a whole bunch of solder joints, added a little bit of new solder here and there, and the whole thing worked *perfectly* when plugged back in.

CN: Failed solder joints can be very hard to see, reflowing them is easy.

CN: Failed solder joints can be very hard to see, reflowing them is easy.

Hard to see, especially if you don't expect what they look like. Even harder to photograph. But not as hard to catch in a picture as that bit of old gear.

speedo036.jpg

speedo042.jpg

I have a question about 240 (244 in this case) odometers. Just replaced the gears on my 1989 244 and the odometer is working (i.e., moving and adding "miles"). I thought I was lucky as I've heard of repaired odometers not working, taking a while to wake up, etc, and had a "late awakening" issue myself when I repleced the odometer's gears on my other volvo (1989, 245). But this time, on the 244, I've found that the counters for the total mileage and for the trip mileage are going at different rythms!!! I thought they both moved driven by the back 15 tooth gear wheel and therefore they were supposed to show the same increments !!....well, as an example, for each 5 "miles" increment on the trip counter, I get about 7-8 "miles" increment on the total mileage counter. It's as if one was counting miles and the other km!! Any ideas about how this could be happening?

Thanks!!!

Xavier

Xavier, I think I hear you. Which one is correct?

The K-number represents the Kounts per mile. The number of pulses from the sensor at the differential's tone ring per mile traveled. The K9800 just indicates the gauge is for a wagon, and the K10042 from a sedan. It says nothing about the year of the cluster that it fits except that it is 86-91. Those clusters are not all "interchangeable."

Why are they different? Do wagons use a different sized wheel and tire? Is this to say that the differential from a wagon wouldn't (with accurate mileage) swap over to a sedan?
Boom 3 questions ready go!

Why are they different? Do wagons use a different sized wheel and tire? Is this to say that the differential from a wagon wouldn't (with accurate mileage) swap over to a sedan?
Boom 3 questions ready go!
First question answered by your second. Third question is no. Just the tire sizes are (or were I should say) less than 3% different.

First question answered by your second. Third question is no. Just the tire sizes are (or were I should say) less than 3% different.

<strike>So the tone rings will cause a 3% inaccuracy when interchanged with sedans and wagons? Both my sedan and wagon came to me with 185/70/r14's.</strike>

Just re read that..the tire sizes used to be different? Maybe from factory?

<strike>So the tone rings will cause a 3% inaccuracy when interchanged with sedans and wagons? Both my sedan and wagon came to me with 185/70/r14's.</strike>

Just re read that..the tire sizes used to be different? Maybe from factory?

Yes. The axles are the same, wagon and sedan. The difference in gearing is standard transmission vs automatic transmission. Also, the difference in gearing makes no difference to the speedo because the speedo is reading axle rotation. You can put whatever ratio you want in the rear axle and the speedo will still read correctly.

Yes. The axles are the same, wagon and sedan. The difference in gearing is standard transmission vs automatic transmission. Also, the difference in gearing makes no difference to the speedo because the speedo is reading axle rotation. You can put whatever ratio you want in the rear axle and the speedo will still read correctly.

So tire/wheel combination size is the only thing that will affect the accuracy of my speedometer.

For the sedan I forsure do. I'll have to look more closely in the wagon. I'm assuming that will tell me the different tire sizes that each car is supposed to use.

I have a pile of owners manuals, and they all cover both body styles. But even in the side-by-side spec listings I don't see factory tire size listed -- just some warning about keeping what came with it or your speedometer won't be accurate.

The wagon tires were originally taller, but the sizes that came with the cars are no longer made, so the whole question is academic and moot for me. I was just looking for the official reference, but if you have both cars, check the labels -- I think they are inside the door jambs?

Oh, I found it in the owners manual - small print I guess. (1991)
Wagon : 185R14
Sedan : 185/70R

Last edited:
Yup, each manual covers both cars. I'm not sure what this means other than a 14x5.5 inch wheel. Both use a 185 (same width) but one says 70R and the other says R14..?

I'll go check the door jams.

Last edited:
You can get the diameters of tires on line to compare. But what I hear is the sizes these cars came with are obsolete. Remember the speedometer accuracy and tolerance is something regulated by US DOT so if you go up to Canada, the tire sizes are just as different, but only one KM speedometer is offered for both wagon and sedan. It must fall closer to the middle range or Canada isn't so picky.

Back