• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960/S90 M4.4 XDF...work in progress.

I have done this last year when i started to 2 of my ecus both 0261204002.

For fun I googled that part number and found this

http://shop.fekzen.se/en/volvo/283-volvo-960-s90v90-turbochip-90-98.html

Info.. (Works out at <$300)

Turbochip is a tuning chip with retarded ignition so that the engine will support overboost. Due to bigger injectors is needed to give enough fuel, also fuelmaps is remapped to fit the injectors. With the Turbochip you will be able to boost more and run more safe cause the margins is higher.
We recommend you to use injectors which has a maximum size of 630cc and also use a wideband lambda sensor to make sure you have enough fuel to get a good mixture.
The early version with M1.8 has a socket already, but the M4.4 from 96 require soldering when installing the chip. Contact us for more information.
Ex ECU nr: 0261203453 , 0261200362 , 0261200528 , 0261203854 , 0261204002 , 0261204643
Notice - You should use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to be able to make some smaller finetuning by your self, while testdriving.

I haven't had a chance to look at mine still. Just got done swapping out a power steering pressure hose which was a bit of a pain in the ass.

Hi, i have some files that i would like to share where can i upload them?

The files is from 0261204002 box, one is the 64kb bootmode read and the other is the full chip read, when i compare them they have many differences at the same places but both files are from the same box &#55358;&#56596;

You can upload them here and I'll get them up on github... https://uploads.kartpulse.com/owncloud/index.php/s/icvJZ9bW7RUxV7Z

No progress on mine yet. I need to get the motor back together in the XC90, then do some maintenance on the e39 before I touch the 960 for anything "fun".
I did get the ECU\ECM pulled out to check the P/N though so I can at least grab a spare ECU and try some things as I have time.

1997 Volvo 960, AME: 0 261 204 239, Volvo P/N 1270422

for a heads up there are several m4.4 computers out there and the software are not compatible

for instance 0261203xxx is not compatible with 0261204xxx as as there is hardware differences same goes with the Immo / non Immo units ..

also 204 firmwares differ greatly and i have information on what Changes are on what units

avalible is also removal of all Comfort / ignition retard when driving sporty and all sorts of stuff avalible

here a fairly recent dyno using b6284t and motronic 4.4 on dyno

thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

NICE! :D
Thank you for testing! That's a big help. I'm still debating trying to set my car up on M4.4 to make testing easier, but finding what I need is proving difficult :(.

Which XDF did you use? Did you ever find a way to upload the files? I'd love to take a peek at what you've got.

Last edited:
I could let you have my old t6 modified bin it's pretty outdated and rough in adjustments but it has all basic stuff removed that you want to remove like comfort settings rear lambda. and optimized for 337cc injectors

I'll let you know later

a heads up though there are versions of m4. 4 that's is not compatible in software or hardware there are a also one version that has bit offset and swapped fuel pump output primarily California spec

Cool, that would be much appreciated :). Anything that could be used to learn more would be awesome.

Good to know about the different ECUs. I wonder why the cali-spec one is so different. I'm guessing then that some softwares won't work on some ECUs. Does it brick them or are they recoverable?

NICE! :D
Thank you for testing! That's a big help. I'm still debating trying to set my car up on M4.4 to make testing easier, but finding what I need is proving difficult :(.

Which XDF did you use? Did you ever find a way to upload the files? I'd love to take a peek at what you've got.

I will check what xdf i used, i did upload the files (atleast tried) can upload them again on the weekend 😀

And if moon_walk could share some stock bins it would be much appreciated ☺️

Yes that is from a 2.5L manual. On the revlimits it seem that the Hard is off and Soft is back on. Now i need to test to disable the rear o2 sensor :)

Well, it's been a long time, but I am poking at this again. I've figured out the MAF high/low byte combining, thanks to the VS M4.4 guys and an XDF that had the conversion factor I was after. Now it might be easy to swap to a much larger MAF, although it looks like the stock 2.75" unit can flow up to ~975 kg/h, which might be enough for some small boost on a smaller turbo. I'll see what else I can do, since I'm still not back at work yet, sigh.

Just found this topic now, I'm very much into this! Stock S90 maf is big enough for 18T ish turbo on 5 banger.

Bmw mafs flow much more indeed. On m4.4 wikia you could find a maf table converter.

Soon I'll be running my 164 T6 on M4.4 ecu from T5 with COPS.
The ecu is modified to use cops and had 6 bin on it... soon we'll find out if it's working as intended.

If you need anything about M44 please ask!

The MAF table converter from the M4.4 wikia doesn't work with the B6304 M4.4 bin since the MAF tables are in a different spot :(. I've decompiled the program and know where to change the addresses, but I'm lost when it comes to recompiling. That's why I put a bit more work into the 6-cylinder M4.4 XDF, so the MAF tables would be useable :).

I'd love to know more about modifying a 5cyl bin for 6cyl usage. I've tried reading the Volvospeed thread, but it's pretty hard to go through nearly 500 pages. I know I've read that the 5cyl bin actually has outputs for the 6 cylinder, but I never saw any more about that.

The output used for TCV is used for 6th injector so you'll have to figure antoher way to control boost, not that the load control is working that great anyway.

I need to look into it again because it was almost a year ago I've been busy with it.

I'm figuring that I'm using a 6 cilinder (s90) bin and just have it flashed in the 5 cilinder ecu.

Myself is also not the brain behind all this, my friend piet is helping me out with the ecu solderings and bin digging.
You probably know him from the thread at volvo speed.

Are you using the 6 cilinder ecu now on B6304 yes? I would run it on stock maf first since it's quite big.

If you like to do some testing we maybe should share phone nr's and get kicking on this?
I'd love to run my 164T6 on M44 but it's far from ready yet. Seems your further on in the project and might actually be able to get something working right?

I could even ask piet to send you a modified 5 cilinder ecu for use on your 6 banger

Last edited:
Wow! Much appreciated! :)
I'm not on M4.4 yet, but as soon as all the parts show up, I'll be swapping over. I will be working with the stock B6304S M4.4 ecu, and since I don't plan to run much boost (it only hits 7 psi currently, with the Speeduino), I think I might be able to stay under the load limit of the stock MAF and just do a basic tune to handle the fueling/timing.

For the moment, I would love to be kept up to date on the progress you're making. I'm in Canada so communicating by phone might be difficult, haha :).

Back