• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mounting two m40 transmissions inline? Why?

NotSoFresh

Sick ****** T-Brick Prick
So I was poking around on performance parts sites from the motherland, and I can usually do fine not speaking swedish, however on this site I came across adapters to mount 2 m40's inline..or an m45 inline with an m40...??/
Why?
adkitm40m40.JPG

https://www.l-m-r.se/p/volvo/240/gearboxes-diffs-accessories/adapterkit-dubbla-lador-m40-m40.html

Limits speed. They put them in to A-Traktors so they can get some sort of farm registration, then kids can drive them around.

At least that was the gist of what I understood from the Swedish guys I was talking to at the time. I saw them all over Sweden outside of the big cities.

Jordan

That makes sense. My brain kept going to tractor pulling or rock crawling but the other side of my brain kept saying those trannies wouldnt stand up to either.

Funny thing is I posted this in the perfoemance section, thinking it was some kind of folks racing/tractor pulling thing when in reality it is exactly the opposite of a performance mod....:nod:

Limits speed. They put them in to A-Traktors so they can get some sort of farm registration, then kids can drive them around.

At least that was the gist of what I understood from the Swedish guys I was talking to at the time. I saw them all over Sweden outside of the big cities.

Jordan

Mildly misusing a rural law that lets younger kids drive farm equipment on the roads.

It sort of boils down to what legally constitutes a car vs. a tractor. In Sweden that means a limited number of seats (cabs have to be physically shrunk, can't just remove seats and leave the room, AFAIK) and maximum speed allowed by gearing. One of the transmissions still has a shifter - the other is shifted into a lower gear and sealed off from external access.

Mildly misusing a rural law that lets younger kids drive farm equipment on the roads.

It sort of boils down to what legally constitutes a car vs. a tractor. In Sweden that means a limited number of seats (cabs have to be physically shrunk, can't just remove seats and leave the room, AFAIK) and maximum speed allowed by gearing. One of the transmissions still has a shifter - the other is shifted into a lower gear and sealed off from external access.

Don't the also deactivate one of the cylinders to get the same effect?

It began between the wars with the EPA-traktors when farming equipment was expensive and scarce.
EPA-traktor was basically a body on frame car shortened to 225cm wheelbase and no rear suspension.
It had to have a tow hitch and fastest you were allowed to drive was 30km/h even tough they went faster. It was limited to a 10:1 engine to wheel ratio when in highest gear, so a whole lot of revving.
On the Duetts it was enough to just lock the gearbox in 1st and 2nd.

During the 50's the EPA-taktors were faced out when regular tractors became cheaper.

During the 60's and 70's it became very popular again, but this time it became a way for 16 year olds to drive a "car". So the regulations were not used as intended.
As the Duett was the most common cheap body on frame car here it became the most common EPA.

1975 was the last year you could register a "new" EPA. After that is was the newer A-traktor regulations, which came in 1963 and was parallell with the EPA regulations.

A-traktor is instead is constructed to go no faster than 30km/h, can be a unibody car and have suspension on all four wheels.
The A-traktor wasn't intended for farm use but still had to have a hitch and a ballast box over the driving wheels.
And because they could not go faster than 30km the most common way was to mount a second gearbox locked in a low gear.

Back