• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Late 7/9 wagon rear side window lower trim

DET17

Reformed SAABaholic
I've got a stick of the pass. side trim which appears to have a broken clip for attachment.

From the online store, here is the clip part in question:

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Clip/1141882/1392392.html

Item #21 in the exploded view. The question: has anyone installed these side trim lower pieces, under each of the side rear windows? Looking for experience "how to install". I have the forward clip broken, but all the rest appear to be intact. Suggestions how to remove, and reinstall?

Thanks.

I have many times. I have to take a look at my 940 and the trim pieces I have off in order to tell you correctly how to do it. I'll be back from vacation ma?ana.

There are (IIRC) 2 different clips on that assembly. The general ones in the middle and then there's a couple (maybe 3?) black ones that slide in-out and are meant as stops to position the window in far enough at assembly that these trims will then go on.

These that hold it on only have small tits that snap into the paper thin NLA trims, but will easily tweak it if not careful. I use a small flat paint scraper and of they dont pop with little effort, I opt to break the clips first to save the trim.

I’ve had bad luck over the ages getting my driver side one to stay on; i actually lost one on the highway somewhere.

There’s 4 clips IRC of one size and one clip that’s a little bit smaller at the very end near the taillight. I tried using 5 of the big size and it doesn’t work well at all. I’ve found the easiest thing to do is put all the clips into the trim piece, and then the whole trim just slides in over the metal posts under the window. It’s prettt straight forward but will need some thumping to get it to lock on.

That part of my car was apparently repainted years and years ago so sadly I can never get it lock on properly; I’m always fighting it...

Thanks for the 411 folks.... looks like I'll gingerly remove the trim and buy the clips accordingly. Will try 15A's advice on the flat blade to break the clips without damaging the fragile trim aluminium (it can't be stainless, can it?).

SUCCESS! Thanks Chris, broke the teeny clips off the tan clips and she's free without damage.

There are indeed 2 types of clips; aft end near the 5 door has a smaller green colored clip (hope mine didn't break, looks AOK) and then 4 of the cream color wider clips from there forward. I'll order the 4 clips, put some black RTV adhesive under the leading tip near the back door junction, and hopefully all is well.

Last edited:
052427650177.jpg

The same old complaint when you rebuild these cars "piece by piece"... shipping is more than 4 clips!

Back