• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Picked up a nice 27-row NPR off ebay. Looks like all I'm missing for it to work is a 45* reducer. Yay.

Got the H4 headlights, hood quiet kit (which left me some material left over to do the trunk lid), stick-on door seals, some firewall grommets, front speakers (tweeters and midbass), and front control arms with poly installed. Also realigned the Now it needs an alignment.

General impressions:

-So my headlights actually light up the road some (looks like I can legally aim them up a bit more)
-The stereo works much better, front speakers work very well for mids and highs. Mids particularly better than I expected. Subwoofer sounds much more accurate now with the trunk lid sealed and dampened. Definitely going to try deadening the rear quarter panels under the rear windows and above the spare tire wells, rear bulkhead, plus sealing the holes on either side of the car between trunk and passenger compartment. May try an isobaric mount going through the ski hole for my 8" free air subs, because why not. Going to seal the door mounted speakers too. There is a good bit of space between the speaker and door cavity.
-The car is actually somewhat quiet (read: not deafeningly loud) on the highway
-Turn-in is much crisper with the new bushings. Really hoping I have time to get it aligned this week

Goal by June is to get the Truetrac an 19T installed.

Last edited:
I like your car. The wheel change was a big improvement and really suits the style of a blue flathood 242. Your end goal for the car is very similar to mine for the beige 242, and the overall mods will end up being very similar, so I'm interested to watch your progress on this...

Thanks Mr. Duder! The turbo and engine management portion will likely be different than yours (Otherwise I would have done a GTX2860R and MoTec right away ;-) ). Mostly I'd agree; I want a car I can commute with and drive co-workers around in, and keep up with more modern cars. The Mustang Ecoboost and Hyundai Genesis coupe V6 are my current sort-of benchmarks.

Word. No MoTec for me, just LH2.4 to begin with and then AEM EMS. I haven't driven an Ecoboost Mustang yet but it's on my list of 2.3L turbo cars to benchmark as well. I got a ride in Karl Buchka's 16v+t 242 a few weeks ago and can say that is the other end of the spectrum from what mine will be :-D. But it's nice to compare and contrast!

Oh, and the Mr. isn't required. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude...so that's what you call me.

IDK whether I will bother with projectors. LED lamps will be cheaper by the time I get around to doing a stage 2 updgrade

Word. No MoTec for me, just LH2.4 to begin with and then AEM EMS. I haven't driven an Ecoboost Mustang yet but it's on my list of 2.3L turbo cars to benchmark as well. I got a ride in Karl Buchka's 16v+t 242 a few weeks ago and can say that is the other end of the spectrum from what mine will be :-D. But it's nice to compare and contrast!

For sure! Bet it's a beast. LH 2.2 coupled with a 42/63 TB03 means lots of lag and not much top end. Are you going to go with a GTX yourself?

Oh, and the Mr. isn't required. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude...so that's what you call me.

Hehe, I'll keep that in mind :-D

As it looks now. It's a dirty thing right now. Forgot I found a new, near perfect grille, which is nice. Added some pics to the OP...

ORLY? What if one of those ended up here in Oregon? Strapped to the side of an ancient B21F? Hmmmm?

if you're going to send someone a turbo to strap to the side of an ancient b21f, wouldn't it be more exotic to send it to alaska instead of oregon?

3/4 of the stuff done to this car happened thanks to this gentleman, everybody ^

Of course they don't look half bad. They look excellent.

Swapped in the RSI stage 1 cam today, set to 2.5 degrees advanced. Idles at 16-18" vacuum at 1000 RPM in neutral, 11-13 in drive. Gave up a little bit of vacuum to the B.

That said the powerband is much fatter now. Boost comes in about 900 RPM sooner and pulls HARD to the limiter. Looking forward to installing the NPR intercooler I ordered.

One more thing: whoever designed the B21 timing belt cover deserves to be bitch-slapped. Cam was one tooth off the first time around and I needed to re-set base ignition timing. Fan and water pump pulley, as well as the alternator, need to move out of the way for that to happen. Seriously considering an e-fan JUST to make access there less of a pain in the ass.

No pics. Everyone knows what a camshaft looks like.

Got it aligned. For whatever reason only one side can get 1 degree of camber while the other only goes to .2. Might be time to look into straightening the unibody...

Back