• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Spark Plugs

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any spark plug recommendations? I am about to replace mine - currently Bosch Plus Four. They have worked okay for me but I was wondering what others are using and what their opinions are. My current ride is a 1990 745 Turbo with G-Valve and 210,000km.

as of now i'm running bosch WR6DP plugs and really like them,
they are one range colder than stock and seem to help cut down on a little of the inaudible knock @ higher rpms.

otherwise i jsut got a set of NGK BPR7ES that are another range colder and i'm gonna isntall those as soon as the head gets cold and then i'll do the plugs and oil.

from what i've heard the bosch 4+ are one of the worst plugs u can buy, from what my friends have told me from them using them i didn't find them worth $5 a plug. how were they for you? good?

I have always used the regular Bosch Platinum plugs, I ran a set of them in a 1986 Nissan PU for around 80,000 miles and the gap hadn't changed a bit...

Justin
83 244 Turbo

Champion RN7YCs gapped to .025 in; threads anti-seized.....no probs.....and I change them every 20,000 miles......

I find the multiple ground electrode spark plugs amusing.....(a gimmick that comes and goes every 10 yrs or so)......and utterly useless....

BUT they do precisely what they were intended to do: make a lot of money for the people selling them......and that is all they do......

Thanks for all the responses. The Bosch Plus Fours were in the car when I bought it. I think that they have been ok but I have never used anything else to compare them to. I was considering going to the plain platinums because I have used them with previous (non-turbo) vehicles with good results ('84 244GLE B23E & '91 Town Car 4.6L). What is the reason for using colder range plugs?

i know some really quick cars and they don't run any of those plugs(split fire,bosh 4's, etc) does delco make a plug for volvo?

using a spark plug with a colder heat range reduces the risk of detonation caused by glowing spark plug parts.....it has also been argued that a colder plug acts as a bit of a heat sink; thereby creating a helpful cool spot.....that is debatable....but it sounds nice anyway.

AC spark plug number R42XLS works just fine....it is equivalent to Champion RN9YC--stock heat range for Volvo red motors: turbo or NA--have never seen a colder AC plug shown anywhere.....but have used the AC R42XLS in turbos just to see how they do......no problems......

I certainly hope that everyone knows that they are supposed to use an anti-seize compound--preferably aluminum-based--on the spark plug threads; and that there IS a torque spec for tightening the plugs to...

BTW somebody mentioned platinum plugs. DO NOT run these in a turbo engine!!!! Unless you like breaking electrodes off in the chamber. Use plain old cheap ass copper plugs.

What causes electrodes to "break off" in a turbo motor? I have changed the AC platinum plugs on a Chevy LT1 engine after about 50k miles that had about half of the little platinum "buttons" missing. Is that what you mean? The regular Bosch doesn't have an exposed center electrode rather a fine platinum wire running up through a full length ceramic element with a conventional ground electrode.

Justin

I've been told by 2 mechanics that the platinum plugs are a waste of money in the Volvos, even the NA motors. And both recommended using NGK or Bosch plugs. On a related note, they also said unless you're running a full-race motor or just generally cranking out gobs of HP the fancy plug wires like Magnecore and Nology are also a waste. Not that they don't help, but there's other mods that offer more bang for the buck.

I personally use whatever's on sale among the better brands (NGK, Bosch, Champion)

I have used HALO plugs (has 4 posts like the bosch plat + 4 but all are connected by a disk) with much success in NA motors. This plug in not for turbos though.... Why? I have no idea!

My turbos have the Bosch Plat + 4 no problems with them.......

ooh. I got u-groove^r plugs :p
I bought the first plugs I saw, as I will swap engine soon anyways..
I hate my b19a :/

i've used the +4's with no problem in my '93 940T, but i'm a sucker for new gimicks. i got them as soon as i heard about them, same with the original bosch platinums.

anyway, my question is does anyone use the iridium (sp?) plugs? i've seen them referenced on the brickboard.

I was wondering the same thing about iridiums. They seem to be de rigueur on newer multi-valve motors, but I haven't heard about their performance on the B230FT motors.

Back