• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Strong Gas Smell '89 245

studmuffed

Hey TB,

My 89 wagon smells pretty strongly of gas while its running but I don't see any drips or evidence of leaks anywhere. The gas mileage is also noticeably worse than my 240 sedan, but the sedan is a '92 and was recently rebuilt if that matters. It smells all the time not just when I fill it up, so I don't think its the filler breather thing, but I was wondering if this could be my fuel pressure regulator? I was also wondering if it could be the O2 sensor.

Thanks for the input

If in the rear, check hoses going to filler from tank, they can crack/ break. Usually a big hose (filler) and a small hose (vent) that goes into filler neck. Also check at tank itself

I check it pretty often and I?ve never seen any evidence of leaks. It only smells when the car is running so that makes me think its running rich. It doesnt smell when I prime it and don?t start.

If in the rear, check hoses going to filler from tank, they can crack/ break. Usually a big hose (filler) and a small hose (vent) that goes into filler neck. Also check at tank itself

I check it pretty often and I’ve never seen any evidence of leaks. It only smells when the car is running so that makes me think its running rich. It doesnt smell when I prime it and don’t start.

Check the top of the tank where the pump is inserted. Will have to pull back the carpet, etc. Check the connections and the piping going into the tank, along with the hoses. If there's rust, it may have rusted out and is leaking.

Hey TB,

My 89 wagon smells pretty strongly of gas while its running but I don't see any drips or evidence of leaks anywhere. The gas mileage is also noticeably worse than my 240 sedan, but the sedan is a '92 and was recently rebuilt if that matters. It smells all the time not just when I fill it up, so I don't think its the filler breather thing, but I was wondering if this could be my fuel pressure regulator? I was also wondering if it could be the O2 sensor.

Thanks for the input

Some auto parts stores such as Autozone will loan you a fuel pressure tester. When my FPR was bad it smelled rich.

My 240 smelled of gas but never leaked any gas on the ground however you could see a staining on the body and tank

On a couple of occasions I have had the same smell toward the rear of a 240. Years ago a Volvo tech told me to check the main pump hose between the tank and main fuel pump. The original main fuel hose was a cloth braided type and it's normally secured with hose clamps on the tank exit assembly at the top of the tank and also at the main fuel pump under the car. When this type of hose gets old and rotten, it will usually slowly begin to weep fuel. When weeping, it may begin slowly and the outer cloth braid may appear wet. This will cause such a fuel smell. If this hose is questionable, replace it, since it will only get worse with age.

The original main hose size is 12 mm ID. About 3 to 4 feet is needed. 12 mm hose is common in Europe, but not so common in the USA. 7/16 inch ID fuel hose is a close substitute if necessary (be sure to choose high-pressure fuel injection hose), however even 7/16 inch ID can be hard to find in auto parts stores sometimes, but not too hard on-line. Some people have used 3/8 inch hose, but I think it's too small and will be difficult to stretch onto the fittings.
Dave B

240tankpump3.jpg

I check it pretty often and I?ve never seen any evidence of leaks. It only smells when the car is running so that makes me think its running rich. It doesnt smell when I prime it and don?t start.

Last time I encountered this (also on an 89 245) I found the rodents had made a hole in the nylon line from filter to fuel rail. Worth having a look underneath (running the pumps with a jumper) before engaging in more internet speculations.

fuel2991.jpg

Back