• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How did you get your shifter to sit correctly in your 740 after a T5 swap?

I know 1 option would be to just use the Deeworks adapter instead of bens but even then I don't think they have a 9.25" input shaft with 3.97 gear ratio.

Isit at all possible to use the 7.41" input shaft?

Well, I answered my own question. I researched and searched around in the T5 thread and found that user V8BRICK had experienced a similar issue. They fixed this by shopping off a top of the input shaft!

This is my post for future searchage for people in the same situation. I'm adapting a 4cyl T5 to a b230f with an m40 bellhousing (upright orientation) for insertion in my '73 142.

I had an issue with the input shaft length of my 4cyl T5 being 7.41 as opposed to the preferred 7.18". I had stuck the transmission on the engine and it did bottom out before the bell housing mated. I actually had a 7.18 input shaft sitting around but alas the first? gear on the shaft was larger than that of the 4cyl shaft. So after a ridiculous amount of searching and no answer found, I took matters into my own hands and those of the chop saw. I took about .25" off the tip of the 4cyl input shaft and slapped it all together and it bolted up and verified that the 10 input shaft splines do not bind with the throw out bearing (when I put the tranny in gear and spin the output shaft, no clutch installed), which was a worry.

Am I dumb? Has this been covered before? All I saw on v-performance was mention that the pilot bearing was the same diameter of the 4cyl T5s. The other option was to space the adapter out .25" but that seemed like a lot of work lol I'm lazy. Now I just need to find a new input bearing retainer that doesn't exist!

umm ok..

There's also an adapter plate that's made for Ford boys to space back the trans so you can use the longer input shaft trans without mods. Stacking adapters FTW :uh:

Or just get the V8 box. Better gear ratios too

umm ok..

There's also an adapter plate that's made for Ford boys to space back the trans so you can use the longer input shaft trans without mods. Stacking adapters FTW :uh:

Or just get the V8 box. Better gear ratios too

I don't have the money to buy another transmission after I already bought this one and just bought the clutch kit. I have this swap budgeted and buying another transmission will throw me way over the edge.

I'm not trying to make 300HP anyway. The 4cyl WC is perfect for my goals.

Do you have a link and/or any information about that spacer block? I'm assuming you're talking about something like this - https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-bellhousing-plate-7995.html

Last edited:
And if you're referring to me, I didn't do the swap, my 15yr old(at the time) son did it, on his first car, after rebuilding the engine and adding a 16v head.
And a proper, full rebuild; new pistons, rods, bearings, all seals/gaskets,etc...not a typical TurboBrick half assed rebuild.

All at once, full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes...and it fired right up.
Not too shabby for a kid that had never worked on a car.

No, I wasn?t referring to anyone in particular....rather the TB typical methodology.

Sounds like your 15 year old did quite well! Congrats..... sounds like he was well taught.

I managed to locate a 300zx T5, the tailhousing swaps over to the mustang box and puts the shifter in the perfect spot for the 7/9 console. It even uses the same shifter as the mustang.

I managed to locate a 300zx T5, the tailhousing swaps over to the mustang box and puts the shifter in the perfect spot for the 7/9 console. It even uses the same shifter as the mustang.

I've already searched for one with the nearest being about 180 miles away and for $700 lol I will just make a gooseneck adapter for mine to get the shifter to work, no problem. Just gotta figure out the 7.41" input shaft

I thought about using a tailshaft from a V6 Mustang (05-10). They had a T5 with a remote mount shifter which makes modding it for custom placement EZ. But it would have required a complete teardown and buildup as it uses a different length mainshaft. In the end I just got a fox V8 unit.

I've already searched for one with the nearest being about 180 miles away and for $700 lol I will just make a gooseneck adapter for mine to get the shifter to work, no problem. Just gotta figure out the 7.41" input shaft

Just take it to a machine shop and have them cut it down. Most likely wouldn't cost much.

Just take it to a machine shop and have them cut it down. Most likely wouldn't cost much.

That's what I am going to do. John got back to me from V-Performance. I asked him about this and basically said the same stuff. Just machine the head down .25" and you're good to go. Crisis averted thankfully.

I briefly browsed around on car-parts.com for local junkyards that have a T5 in stock and fuc*ing everything around here is like 800 bucks. Ill make this work:godlike:

There is a turbo 280zx T5 on ebay right now, 500 bucks. I wonder if you could use the redblock adapter with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nis...899743?hash=item36490e2cdf:g:0qQAAOSwA~5cfEET

This listing is for an OEM 1982-1983 5-Speed Borg-Worner T-5 Transmission that only came with the Turbo Z Cars. Transmission has approx. 75,000 miles on it and was working fine before removing from vehicle. It was removed from a 1983 model. Ive had it sitting for 25 years, so it could most likely use a rebuild. For pickup only. Thanks.

There is a turbo 280zx T5 on ebay right now, 500 bucks. I wonder if you could use the redblock adapter with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nis...899743?hash=item36490e2cdf:g:0qQAAOSwA~5cfEET

This listing is for an OEM 1982-1983 5-Speed Borg-Worner T-5 Transmission that only came with the Turbo Z Cars. Transmission has approx. 75,000 miles on it and was working fine before removing from vehicle. It was removed from a 1983 model. Ive had it sitting for 25 years, so it could most likely use a rebuild. For pickup only. Thanks.

Too late now.

After measuring the input shaft from the head to the face of the trans body, it measured 7.41", just ever so slightly below the 7.5" marker. In order to use Kaplhenke's adapter plate, the input shaft has to be 7.18". Any longer and it wont work.

Measured .23" inward from the head, marked it and cut it right off. Then angle grinded it down flat. It now sits at exactly 7.18" long. What's left for me to do now is file down the edges to make that sloped lip. The file has to be right in the middle of fine and rigged.

zVy9PUG.jpg

I am moving forward with the trans swap using this T5 :x:

Back