• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

PSA: "OEM" oil trap is not identical to genuine Volvo

IansPlatinum

Maybe this has been covered in the past, but from my research results into this site I've only seen it claimed but not proven: The "OEM" oil trap is not identical to the genuine volvo one.

I recently purchased both "OEM" oil trap from FCP and a genuine unit. The genuine one has a different method of joining the two halves together. The plastic is also a different finish. Both parts are the same fit, no issues with fitment. I bought the genuine unit after reading up on the subject and finding some claims that the genuine had better joining/sealing. I'd venture to say that is true. Genuine unit appears soldered while the "OEM" unit appears adhered. When the two halves break or crack, oil leaks out onto the engine, so this detail is important.

Here're the photographic comparisons. "OEM" one is more shiny, genuine is more matte.

arcdOPfh.jpg

Q9GH4ioh.jpg

S1tFek3h.jpg

Pwgat1Xh.jpg

f5E5Hf8h.jpg

OEM is a way to make the item seem like it's an actual manufacturer part, when it isn't. It's a definite marketing thing.

I found the same thing years ago on the breather boxes, amongst many other things. 'OEM' lasted 6 months before it was puking oil, Volvo branded one is still sealed up.

You have to soak the outside of those in epoxy. I can't remember the brand name, but a run of them all separated.

OE means it's the same as what came on the car. OEM doesn't mean anything in regards to quality or fitment.

I use a soldering iron on the cheaply glued ones and they stay together after doing that. That said the genuine version has always had the best quality and service life. It's the same with the ribbed hose from the air mass sensor to the throttle body. The oem one has weak plastic glued on fittings. The genuine volvo air intake hose has fused plastic fittings that don't break off.

You have to soak the outside of those in epoxy. I can't remember the brand name, but a run of them all separated.

I considered doing this with plastic 2-part epoxy but ended up just leaving the genuine volvo unit alone. I figured they last plenty long as is, and didn't want to mess with it

OE means it's the same as what came on the car. OEM doesn't mean anything in regards to quality or fitment.
Sure, but when it's an oddball proprietary part like an oil separator, you'd assume that OEM=OE because, well, not a lot of companies will go through the trouble of replicating the part molds. But hey, I stand corrected.

Sure, but when it's an oddball proprietary part like an oil separator, you'd assume that OEM=OE because, well, not a lot of companies will go through the trouble of replicating the part molds. But hey, I stand corrected.

I wouldn't assume that any part to be of OE quality unless it's been proven. Even some current Volvo-supplied parts are now junk. Buyer beware.

Do the OE ones ever separate? I have never replaced an oil separator box on any volvos. I just clean the crap out of them with diesel fuel repeatedly until the diesel comes out clean and I can't hear anything shaking around. Then a new viton seal and it's good to go.

Do the OE ones ever separate? I have never replaced an oil separator box on any volvos. I just clean the crap out of them with diesel fuel repeatedly until the diesel comes out clean and I can't hear anything shaking around. Then a new viton seal and it's good to go.

Would I just be better off flushing out my old one with a ton of solvent and re-using?

Depends. When I pulled my old one, I found RTV under it, which means someone probably was monkeying around down there. My car has only ever been dealer serviced too, so it means a volvo dealer technician added unnecessary goop... Not to mention, My egr valve covered one of the 12mm hex head screw, so I ended up cracking the existing oil trap trying to get access to the screw. I don't think they separate from just being there, but someone in another thread did point out that the wiring harness is anchored to it, and may impart load and crack it. I left my wiring harness un-anchored.

When I serviced the flame trap for a friend's 940, I left the oil separator original. There wasn't an EGR.

I just kerosene rinsed the one in my 250k mile 940. Came out clean, don't really see a need to replace it, there's nothing inherently consumable about it.

I put a breather box into the ultrasonic cleaner at work after doing the diesel maraca. The amount of junk that came :omg:

Back