• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions about harvesting a donor car for 240 auto to M46 swap

Never mind.

I asked the weight of that flywheel, and got this: "I checked the part # standard 1303 is not a flywheel its a Carburetor Repair Kit"

WTF?

Well the main issue is that you need an LH 2.4 flywheel, the STS machining flywheel is a readily available product. For a stock car it will work just fine.

I did this same swap last year. 84 240 to 90 240. I did it on the cheap so clamped my auto flywheel to the flat flywheel and drilled my own holes. Had nothing to lose so I went for it. Bought a NOS clutch kit off eBay for like $70 put it back together. Works like a champ. I think the STS MACHINE flywheel give a discount for a stock flat flywheel if you’re not brave enough to drill it yourself.

The lighter flywheel is not so much a performance item as it is a just a Better stock option than the heavier dished flywheel.

I had a Volvo mechanic tell me last year that the firewall (or something) would have to be reinforced somehow. That's just what I heard and I may have misunderstood what he was saying. Any thoughts?

You are correct. I had to drill a hole in the firewall plate for the clutch cable. A car with a manual from the factory will have a hole that has a rolled edge for strength. I think I just added a big fender washer between the cable and firewall.

You are correct. I had to drill a hole in the firewall plate for the clutch cable. A car with a manual from the factory will have a hole that has a rolled edge for strength. I think I just added a big fender washer between the cable and firewall.

Thanks very much.

I just drilled the hole and got the cable to fit. Didn't think about reinforcing the firewall. Which side of firewall should the washer go on?

Finally back on the road after a successful auto to M46 swap!! Thanks so much to everyone who posted answers and suggestions. You helped make this newbie's first project successful and fun (mostly). It shifts really smooth, and runs nice and peppy.

I used STS Machining's slightly lightened flywheel, and the Sachs clutch kit from IPD. I was able to get the original clutch cable off the 1985 donor car. Along the way it got brand new bronze shifter bushings, shifter cage bushings, engine mounts, trans mount, center bearing, rear main seal, and breather box/hoses/flame trap. I haven't swapped the differential/rear axle, but have it sitting in the garage in case I decide to. Once I got the O/D working, I haven't found the RPM's at highway speed to be particularly high or at all annoying. After some minor troubleshooting, overdrive works flawlessly. I used a new O/D harness from Dave Barton.

The upward-pointing arrow light in the instrument panel goes off when overdrive is engaged, and stays on at all other times. Is that backwards? If so I'll probably just leave it that way rather than try and figure it out.

My only major glitch is a serious oil leak that was not there before this project, but I will put that in another thread.

Thanks again everyone!

Back