• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 244 glt turbo. Possible bad k-jet?

Last night I was driving and all of a sudden the car started sputtering at low/mid rpm. I made it to where I was going. And left the car today I checked the car timing is spot-on, spark plugs look good and getting spark to all cylinders I get fuel into the K jet but I've pulled the fuel injection from cylinders 2 and 3 and no fuel is coming out. Could my cage it be bad completely or maybe my lines be clogged? I got the car probably less than two months ago I put maybe 500 miles on it with no issues until now.

The standard answer on K-jet issues is 'what are your fuel pressure readings?'.

The k-jet fuel system operates by managing fuel pressure through several devices.

Fuel pressure to the distributor should be 90+psi

Fuel pressure out of the distributor should be about 70psi.

Fuel pressure through the Control Pressure regulator should be about 45psi warm.

Of course you will need a fuel pressure test setup which you can build for only a few bucks. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=289775

That link also explains in much greater detail the operations of the K-jet system.

Probably the most often heard sudden issue as you describe is failure electrically or physically the lift pump found in the tank. The engine will run fine without it as long as there is more than about a third of a tank of gas. Below that and you get strange symptoms as the pressure pump is searching for fuel that comes and goes. The pump could have failed just now or some time ago.

More info needed for further suggestions.

The injectors only spray when the airflow sensor plate is lifted. Be sure to put the injectors securely in clear containers to see the fuel pattern. From your description it sounds like it could be clogged injectors. but some testing will tell you. Get a Bentley manual on the car. That will help you understand all the systems.

It could also be a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses, especially the breather hose where it's just stuffed into a hole in the cast aluminum turbo inlet elbow. The hose can get hard and break off causing a vacuum leak and leaving a piece inside, so check the turbo for any debris.

P1101425.jpg

Be careful removing them that you don't twist the soft metal fuel lines. I blew my k-injectors out with an air compressor forward and backwards and it seemed to work but I'm not sure that's proper or how bad they were to begin with. If you get new ones please post from where and how much they cost, I may get some in the future.

Back