• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New owner, couple of small problems, shift knob, glove box

johnwohl

Hello there,

My name is John and I'm from Fargo, ND.

I recently took a 1986 Volvo 240 DL in trade and I'm excited to dig in. It has a few issues as one would expect. It runs great though. The suspension needs doing, neither back door opens without considerable persuasion, the glove box doesn't stay shut, the entire row of switches with the power port, rear defrost, hazards, seat belt light, and A/C control is non funtional, the clock doesn't keep correct time, and a lot of the plastic bits in the interior are broken. Unfortunately there aren't any in the salvage yards near me and the ones nearest me have been picked over for markup on ebay like neckbeards at a toy store.

First things first though. It's got the 4 speed with overdrive and the knob doesn't stay on (press fit? wtf) so at some point the wires for the overdrive were torn out and here is what I'm left with

x8XCSlBb.jpg

So the knob is off and the wires are out of the shaft.

First of all I cant figure out how to get the wires back into the shaft. I found the hole on the side of the sleeve but there doesn't seem to be anywhere for them to come up through the shaft where it necks down. I've tried looking down the sleeve with a light and all I can see is the shaft and the thing for the reverse collar to connect to.

I could relocate the button I suppose but it's intact in the knob and I'd like to keep it that way. Any help on how to get these wires up through the shaft?

Secondly, the reason why the glovebox won't stay closed is 3 fold. The front panel is not attached properly to the assembly, the plastic hole where the lock latch catches is cracked (easy fix), and the lock is missing the retaining clip for the back which is the main problem.

Does anyone know if I could just get the little retaining slip instead of buying a whole lock and everything on ebay?

Oh the wires for the overdrive are the ones sticking out from under the shift boot in the picture, no problem there. If I twist the wires from the knob and from the transmission together the overdrive works perfectly fine.

My problem is that I can't get the wires back up through the shift lever so I can connect them back how they are supposed to be. There doesn't seem to be a hole to shove them through where the shaft necks down before the knob.

I mean, they came out of there so they have to be able to go back in right?

No experience with manual transmission shift knob but the glove box cover is just glued on and should be just refreshed with some contact adhesive or something similar.

Back