• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Validate My 245 Lift Components

MSGGrunt

I am new to Volvos and just recently bought a 1991 245 that I want to lift. I am looking for the advice of others who have been down this road before to make sure I am not missing anything. The car will be a pavement only rig with the lift being for added hauling capabilities as well as a more aggressive looking stance. I am thinking a max of 3" of lift with a max tire diameter of 28 inches.

Rear suspension Components I have already purchased:

- IPD adjustable panhard bar
- IPD adjustable torque rods
- Kaplhenke Racing adjustable coil seat
- Moog CC217 overload spring.

I need help choosing the correct shocks. The car will be a weekend hauler with little to no off-roading.

Front Suspension:

- Purchased new weld on 5" stock spring buckets. I plan on cutting the original ones off and welding the new ones on higher on the strut housing as required for the amount of lift I want.

- Diesel spring? I still need to buy the springs and strut inserts.

What strut inserts? Again, this is a pavement only rig and won't wee anything other than street use and carrying a load.

That is what my intent was. The added capacity of the over-loads with the adjustable spring perches giving me the lift.

I hear a lot being said for the diesel springs... Can these be had new or are they NLA?

you are lifting yet not off roading? I didn't know volvo pavement princess was a thing.

Actually the princess comment is closer than you think... My Step Daughter fell in love with the old school boxy look of the wagon but said it kinda looked too old person'ish and wanted to know if I could add larger tires, a roof rack and front driving lights after I showed her some pictures. She also likes my 89 E30 325ix that is a boxy, higher than my normal E30, but doesn't like my Porsche Cayman S. So yes, a pavement princess it will be... Are those not allowed here? A slammed wagon built for drifting or just the look isn't my personal taste, but I can appreciate the engineering that goes into these cars and I support any vision that keeps these older cars on the road.

That is what my intent was. The added capacity of the over-loads with the adjustable spring perches giving me the lift.

I hear a lot being said for the diesel springs... Can these be had new or are they NLA?

NLA afik, and there's no money in pulling springs in the junkyards and shipping them, so good luck finding some.

this car is 2" with smaller tires. 27"
https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=18570

1989-Volvo-240-with-a-5.3-L-LSx-V8-04.jpg

3" lift with 28" tires is going full donkey. You will be way in the air not to mention cutting of the wheel wells

A 245 with fresh stock springs is already high.

Funny you post this picture as this is the car I stumbled across that I thought I would try to mirror my build after, minus the front coil-overs.

Just copy the suspension build, the specs are there. That car looks correct for a lifted light off-road 245.

What tires I will be running is still undetermined. I would like to find a set of 15" wheels, but scouring craigslist for some inexpensive used ones isn't proving easy. Do the wheels off the later 840/850/950 fit?

I am in Western Massachusetts. I'd be willing to travel a reasonable distance for a set. I would stick with 14" wheels, but with 15s I have a lot more selection in brand not necessarily more sizes.

Looks like this place has a set of 4 of the 15x6 10-spokes for relatively cheap, if you're trying to stay OEM (at least according to Car-Part.com)

Mansfield Auto Parts Inc.
214 Stafford Rd
Mansfield, CT 06250

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="V63KPyg"><a href="//imgur.com/V63KPyg">1991 Jeep Cherokee Sport</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Put Volvo badges on it, and you are done, and have 4wd

If I wanted a true 4x4 I'd go back to Landscruisers and not a dime a dozen Jeep. Not saying they aren't capable vehicles with massive aftermarket support, but I like my vehicles a bit more exclusive. Kind of why I chose to ride a Triumph 955i Daytona in my motorcycle days and why I am looking to add a bit more "stance" to my wagon. I just like being different.

If I wanted a true 4x4 I'd go back to Landscruisers and not a dime a dozen Jeep. Not saying they aren't capable vehicles with massive aftermarket support, but I like my vehicles a bit more exclusive. Kind of why I chose to ride a Triumph 955i Daytona in my motorcycle days and why I am looking to add a bit more "stance" to my wagon. I just like being different.

Go for it, you are unique!

lift that volvo cause no one else is doing it. the anti stancer. If everyone is an anarchist, no one is.

Back