• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 240 5 speed tran and clutch

suener

hello,
i have a tender 1992 volvo 240 dl b230f 5 speed manual with a mostly original clutch, within the last 2 days i am unable to single handedly shift to 2nd gear. I can "sometimes" shift it into 2nd while the car is off and sometime find it with 2 hands while driving. I brought it to the local volvo dealer/certified volvo garage and got the feeling they dont even want to touch it- (amateurs), however they think it needs a new clutch and possibly/probably a new transmission- however they are claiming there is no way in hell they can locate one or the other let alone both . i brought it to a transmission place and he drove it around for a bit and thinks it may need "just some lubricant." so who knows but i need something in between some transmission oil or a new transmission. it is anyone's guess.

If anyone has ANY parts for a clutch assembly and M47II transmission for sale or any info on the issue. I would appreciate any reply regarding the subject. Thank you for your time.

IPD sells a clutch kit. Rock Auto does too. I definitely wouldn’t go back to the people that said they’re impossible to find.

Last edited:
How many miles on the car? One of the issues that causes it to be tough to shift into first and second is a worn pilot bearing. As well as a worn out clutch. You may also have a clutch cable that is stretched and may break. Depending on the miles you probably just need a clutch and some of the other normal service things like fresh lubricant in the trans, and a new trans mount. Try checking your clutch adjustment and seeing what you have. Put the car on ramps and get under there and check the free play on the clutch release arm. Should be 2-4mm of free play at the release arm.

A volvo specialty shop that won't work on the older easier to work on cars? :-(

Sloppy shifter bushings?

Is it grinding the gears? Does the clutch feel like it's engaging/disengaging properly? Or are you just not able to physically get it into the next gear?

Check clutch cable. If it's stretched or failing, the clutch won't completely disengage. Tho, it may just need to be adjusted. Is the clutch slipping?

Shifting into first okay? Mine became really hard to get into first and second so I just swapped it.

Shifting into first with some increased difficulty; also sometimes when getting into first it actually shifts into reverse. which under normal circumstances requires me to lift the lever on the shifter to activate reverse. but this was a sudden change. one day it was fine and the next the it was not. thank you for your time!!

Shifting into first okay? Mine became really hard to get into first and second so I just swapped it.

Shifting into first with some increased difficulty; also sometimes when getting into first it actually shifts into reverse. which under normal circumstances requires me to lift the lever on the shifter to activate reverse. but this was a sudden change. one day it was fine and the next the it was not. thank you for your time!!

I know right?!?! the car has 225000mi (baby) on it. i have had her for nearly 100000 of them. i have found a semi retired transmission guy that is willing to give her the care. i have been searching online and i have found quite a few parts so I am hopeful. I am just learning car care and repair. up until now i knew only where the gas goes in, but know that the weather is nice i can get up under and poke around. thank you for your advice.

Sloppy shifter bushings?

Is it grinding the gears? Does the clutch feel like it's engaging/disengaging properly? Or are you just not able to physically get it into the next gear?

Check clutch cable. If it's stretched or failing, the clutch won't completely disengage. Tho, it may just need to be adjusted. Is the clutch slipping?
there is no grinding and no slippage. It does FEEL like the clutch is properly disengaging, it is literally like 2nd gear has moved out of its old position and it takes 2 hands to slam it into gear whereas before i would just tap it into place.

Back