• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T cam

780Racer

Ok, This just popped into my head as i was in the shower.....Are there any real power gains from ajusting the Stock T cam's timing? if so is it better to advance it or retard it?...and how much?.... i have a 780T and am just wondering...

Ok, This just popped into my head as i was in the shower.....Are there any real power gains from ajusting the Stock T cam's timing? if so is it better to advance it or retard it?...and how much?.... i have a 780T and am just wondering...

you have t3/t4 on the car?
Get like a a, b, or k cam, you will really understand why.

I will be getting a K Cam....Just wanting to know it i can play with what i have now until my dead butt decides to go get a job and buy more goodies...

Changing the cam timing doesn't really change the power output, it just changes the rpm of the power band. If you advance the cam timing, it would move the power band lower in the RPM range for better torque off the line. If you retard the timing, you get better performance up top. If you have the stock turbo, you probably want to advance the cam timing to take advantage of the fast spool. If you have a big turbo that flows up top but takes a long time to spool, you'd want to retard the timing to move the power band up to where the turbo spools.

So, to answer your question, you probably wouldn't see any numerical power gains by adjusting the cam timing, but you could feel a seat of your pants difference by moving the power band.

Ok, so with a .60 a/r cold and .42 hot T4/T3 what would you put it to?I am thinking retard? but not sure.....how many teeth....or degrees?

Not teeth, you cant just skip a tooth, thats ALOT of retard.
Buy dale's cam gear if you want to play with the cam timing.

Edit: I suppose you can just skip a tooth, but its just silly

im just thinking......it i retard it ONE tooth it would move my powerband higher and the turbo would really kick in at 3500

The T cam in my silver 940 is in theory retarded 1 degree, and I find the midrange is quite outstanding (for a T cam, at least).

If you're going to the effort of swapping on an adjustable gear you might as well just put a different (read: better) cam in there too.

The T cam in my silver 940 is in theory retarded 1 degree, and I find the midrange is quite outstanding (for a T cam, at least).

If you're going to the effort of swapping on an adjustable gear you might as well just put a different (read: better) cam in there too.

I was going to use a tooth...not a gear.....but have decided i want a SMOOTH running car.haha

Back