• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vancity Volvos

Unfortunately my misspent youth makes it impossible for me to cross the border :oops:...my dad lives in everett though, so he's gonna check some stuff out for us down there. Exchange rate isn't super great so I'm hoping to keep it local.

lol, ok. The car that you own, other than the carburetor setup, it's decent, right? Another option would be to pull the LH 2.2 stuff off an '85-'88 240 and install it on the B21A. Then, it'd be like one of the really late 1982 US 240's, but with a more common LH variant.

-J

Oh her old wagons long gone, it was a $200 rust bucket that was beyond saving. Good first car though, ran like a top at 300,000 kms, kept her busy with wiring issues, and she didn't feel bad when she let it go.
She's had a couple toyotas since, but her current ride is an early 3 litre 4 runner and she's not stoked on it. I think she misses the ease of 240 maintenance, she's my assistant in keeping my heap on the road, and she knows there's nothing we can't take care of in a weekend of work.
The desire for LH is mostly based on the parts hoard in my garage, we've torn down 2 240s and a 740 over the last 2 years and have kept most everything we thought we might need later. I'm sure she would prefer older, but she's going off to school in nanaimo in September and I think a well sorted LH car will be less trouble.
I guess the longer we wait and look the more money we can put aside for this, so that's good.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/BLUE-WAGON_31268024

Looks like a '90, if I was going to guess. But ad also says it won't stay running....

69532515_614.jpg

Excellent! The daughters in nanaimo right now, hopefully she can make her way down there to check it out.

I brought this complete car home yesterday. I'll be keeping many parts, but if you're interested in something pm me.

Things I know I'll be keeping:
Black interior
Hood
Rear hatch
Iac
Ps pump and rack
Possibly engine and trans
Brakes

I picked up a 1991 240 wagon, EFI, 5 speed, 195k on the clock, power windows, 2" receiver hitch with electric brake, no A/C to see if it was savable or a parts car. I think it is more of a parts car, there's too much work needed to make it usable.

The good
- drivetrain seems strong - motor runs fine, trans shifts well
- It is driveable (just loud).
- starts up right away
- new alternator and brakes
- Front and back plastic bits are in good shape - grille and headlights not cracked or broken, back lights the same. The headlights could use a polish.
- The body is straight and rust free, except around the back wheels

The bad - first four are why I figure this is a parts car
- clutch slips, not much though (so far)
- windshield is cracked from top to 2/3 of the way to the bottom
- heater fan does not work. I am pretty sure it is the fan, previous owner said it made a burning smell before it stopped working, and the 25A fuse is OK
- rusty around the back wheel, mostly on the passenger side, rusted through where the doorsill / rocker meets the wheel well.
- rear power windows don't work, front ones did but today they wouldn't.
- driver's seat is beat, the rest of the interior is decent.
- dash is cracked.
- smells a bit moldy inside. I did some cleaning and got rid of visible mold, but there is still a bit of a smell.
- water gets in somewhere - probably through the rusty bits.
- there is an odd whining noise from time to time. Seems to be related to the car's speed, not engine speed. It's about the same with clutch up or down, in gear or neutral.
- I don't think the odometer works, but the speedometer and other gauges do
- tires are about 85% worn
- exhaust is hanging off the manifold by one nut. One stud is broken, one nut is missing. The exhaust pipes seem to be pretty solid... but catalytic converters are worth $160 at the scrap yard.
- passenger side sideview mirror is missing the glass

I can get $400 for it (complete, or pretty close) at a scrap yard, but before it goes there I wanted to see if someone wanted the car, or parts off it. If a couple of guys wanted to pick a day to some and strip parts off it, I have a covered area where this could be done. It is shared with neighbors, so we have to be respectful, and the carcass has be rollable once we are finished.

I put some photos in dropbox at https://goo.gl/1cbMGH I also tried to insert some photos in this post.

8gpe43oh5

I am in North Burnaby. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks, Ian

Well, we found our daughter a car. 1 owner 89 245, 290 k, manual, no accidents, full service history, and located in West Vancouver.
The PO is a Swede (of course), and he used the car as a work vehicle for many years. Its free of any real rust, just a few minor bubbles on the passenger side rocker. Its had rust repair to the buttcheek on that side so I am a little concerned that the rocker may be rusting out from the inside, but it passed the screwdriver stab test all the way along so we shall have to wait and see.
I'm pretty happy with the state of the car, its been used as intended its whole life by a man who cared for it and appreciated it for what it is. He didn't baby it but he didn't beat it up either, and he had it serviced religiously.
The interior is blue, and a little worn, but not terrible.
Its a respray from silver, the new color is pretty close to 601 red. It got the respray when he had the rust repair done. Its a decent paint job, they only did the exterior though so it shows silver on the jambs and stuff. Still, it presents well with decent shine.
The hatch needs rewiring, the drivers seat is worn, and it doesn't have alloys, but man did it ever sound good from a cold start in -2 weather! No ticks, no clanks, no clunks. No belt noise even. Its so cool to see how well these cars hold up when they're treated right.
They were asking $1975 which I found to be a reasonable number all things considered, so I agreed to it.
Its funny, we nearly went for the 93 in Burnaby the other day but Lili really wanted standard and so we decided to wait and see what else might turn up. (yeah right, I thought to myself) I'm glad we did, it may not be quite as pretty, but it FEELS so good when you drive it! I think this is the right car for her.
I feel really lucky to have got this one, its not perfect, but its way nicer than anything I've ever bought for my self.
I will admit I'm a little jealous of that third pedal :grrr:, but I can wait and find my own.

Only 1 pic for now, pretty much the same as the CL ad but you get the idea.

Attachments

• uqVSNFwl.jpg
    uqVSNFwl.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 99
I have a set of 16" ROH that'd look reallll nice on there... a statement that's leading to the ...

Final sausagefest at my current place. :-( I've given my notice and there's gonna be a pile of Volvo goodness to go away up to and including the entire V8 265.

Any interest? I'm here 'til the end of March, so I've got a bit of time... 17th? 24th? 3rd?

Lemme know.

So I navigated the Thunderbird TSD rally again this weekend with my buddy driving his '91 240.

lMz2bvEh.jpg

Conditions were better than last year (no blizzard), but it was still pretty icy and a few cars stuffed it on the second last regularity section and missed the last one. Something like 430 km over 11 stages, plus transits, plus getting back and forth to Merritt meant plenty of quality Volvo seat-time.

We did OK - 21st out of 36 entries. We were 3rd out of 8 RWD cars, and we beat most of the novices and even three 4wd Subarus. RWD historic is clearly a more difficult path, but it gives us a good excuse for not placing highly. Only one snowbank this year - I didn't even have to push and the only damage was a properly mangled license plate.

AhvPF0nh.jpg

I was meaning Feb 17th or 24th, Mar 3... I'll be likely close to moved by the 3rd, so any time after that will be iffier.

I got a few things and a hankering to get a few things. Perhaps choke down a sausage in the process....

Kinda on the hunt for a b23...

I'm second in line for your seats, In addition, anyone else local have foam? How about front black early seatbelts? Manual window regulators? Wheel spacers?

no b23s only b230, maybe itll still work for ya?

The rule at my place is you get to do whatever you want on your birthday. If that means abandoning family to check out car parts then that's totally your call. Don't waste the opportunity.

How can you refuse a birthday Swedish sausagefest?

I do get to do whatever I want, and I'd like to include my family. :-P Don't get to spend enough time with them as it is with work and all.

Might work out if we end up in Vancouver anyway that day to swing by, so why not all the things?

Back