• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternator not alternating

Old_goldvolvo240

Check wires, checked ground, checked connections, replaced alt, battery is good, but alt still wont maintain charge of battery any thoughts i havent checked?

Has the battery been charged and checked? If the battery is good and the alternator isn't charging. You next want to check that the charge light circuit is providing 12v to the alternator D+ terminal. Make sure you have it on the proper spot.

Has the battery been charged and checked? If the battery is good and the alternator isn't charging. You next want to check that the charge light circuit is providing 12v to the alternator D+ terminal. Make sure you have it on the proper spot.
:nod: Also make sure you check voltage at the alternator and make sure the ground it attached from the alternator to the block. Is this the original alternator? Brushes/voltage regulator could be gone on it.

After finally getting my 240's charging to work properly, first question: Does the battery warning come on with the key on, engine off?

I've usually been able to breathe new life into a Bosch alternator for my brick by replacing the voltage regulator in the rear.

Simple to do; the problem typically turned out to be worn brushes, which the replacement voltage regulator replaces with new ones.

Yep. Much better than putting some aftermarket reman junk in your car that has probably failed once before in it's lifetime. Easier too. Good point!

I've usually been able to breathe new life into a Bosch alternator for my brick by replacing the voltage regulator in the rear.

Simple to do; the problem typically turned out to be worn brushes, which the replacement voltage regulator replaces with new ones.

This.

Yep. Much better than putting some aftermarket reman junk in your car that has probably failed once before in it's lifetime. Easier too. Good point!

And this too...

If you must replace the alternator, get a good used OE Bosch unit or a reman'd Bosch. Avoid the AutoZone or equivalent aftermarket garbage.

New issue, d+ has power when key on engine off but when key on engine on theres no power any ideas or anyone have access to wiring diagram

New issue, d+ has power when key on engine off but when key on engine on theres no power any ideas or anyone have access to wiring diagram

It's normal to read, like, a volt on it when running if it's connected. Disconnect it and it would be another story. Whats the issue? No charge? Is your ground wire OK? Belt tight? Slap 12v to the exciter terminal manually once per engine start to determine if it's an exciter circuit issue or not.

Last edited:
It's normal to read, like, a volt on it when running if it's connected. Disconnect it and it would be another story. Whats the issue? No charge? Is your ground wire OK? Belt tight? Slap 12v to the exciter terminal manually once per engine start to determine if it's an exciter circuit issue or not.

Reaplaced d+ wire and now everything is okay, i check continuity (cant spell) in old wire and it was all okay but i saw cracks in it so replaced it anyway not sure if it grounded its self when i started the car or what but its fixed.

So my alternator is also not charging my battery (Bosch 80A unit I believe) and while it will be a few days before I can see the car and test what's wrong, I'm trying to be prepared.

Question: Is the $9 Uro Parts voltage regulator that Rockauto sells garbage? Is it worth 4 times as much for a genuine Bosch? I've removed all electrical functions from the car except for wipers and engine stuff so it shouldn't see a very heavy electrical load.

Back