• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Eco-Bricks - 35+mpg club

2. Show at least 10 consecutive tanks of fuel, with start/stop mileage and fuel quantity
:roll:

Who is going to drive 10 consecutive tanks on the highway only? That's like over 5000 miles of just highway miles. Nobody is going to do that, even if they drive across the country they are still going to stop to sight see.

I'll be going to Idaho this summer so I will record the two 400 mile trips there and back. I think I'll throw in 87 to get the most out of it.

I have no way of 'proving' it now...and it's 3 years since the car was like this...but before I fitted the Webers (Solexs....but you know what I mean if I say Webers :-P) my 360 would routinely return 45 imperial MPG at 70mph, and 50mpg at 60mph. That was as reported by my accessory Volvo driving computer, which was calibrated for both distance and fuel usage ;-)

That's a B200 (2.0 B230) with a baby Solex carb, Y cam...stock...1150kg body...3.36 rear end with an M47, etc.

cheers

James

Haha!

940 LPTs (B230FK) seem to be capable of 40mpg (imperial) if you drive them gently enough. Getting over 30mpg (imperial) isn't hard on a run.

cheers

James

u think anyone can get this on a b230 turbo?

On a good day on flat roads I can get around 31 mpg at 55 mph.
87 745T M46, lowered, 3.31 rear gears.
With a 95 940 and manual conversion and 3.31 rear gears I could see 33 to 34 mpg at 55 mph with it's better aero numbers. Put in a full belly pan and I'd bet it would be worth an additional 2 mpg.
I know people with later 940 NA's that get above 30 mpg with no mods on the highway.

:roll:

Who is going to drive 10 consecutive tanks on the highway only? That's like over 5000 miles of just highway miles. Nobody is going to do that, even if they drive across the country they are still going to stop to sight see.

You're right, I didn't think about that.

I am on a long road trip right now with my 760 (Google I/O conference). I got 34.11 mpg (calculated using a GPS odometer, and using biodiesel from Pacific Pride, topping off to the exact same level both times) for my first tank of 375.3 miles driving from Corvallis->Portland->Ashland. Let's see if I prove myself wrong about the 35mpg in a D24T by the end of the trip!

That's driving 75mph with an M46 and a 3.91:1 rear axle (really low gears, 4,000+rpm at cruise).

Last edited:
Ok, lets get some rules and test criteria figured out...

• 35mpg highway
Question - Do you use the "new" math or "old" math to figure mileage:rofl:

Btw, for those with automatics without lockup torque converters, I don't recall the topic of torque-converter's stall speed being mentioned....with Borg Warner transmissions, I have no idea what range there is. Lower stall speed torque converter would translate into better mpg...as I understand the topic....have no idea what rebuilts cost.

I'm down to play along. I would love to see 30+ from my old 245. My 97 Talon gets 38mpg on the highway at 80mph+ in 110* heat with the AC going. So far, the 245 seems to pull down 24-26 around town.

I'm going to do an odo check against mile markers on the highway before this tank is out, then start tracking MPGs over the long term. It would be interesting to see how this plays out.

On my way to see Rush I was driving through central WA with my friend who had his GPS system with him. According to my speedometer I hit 113mph. The Garmin said I only hit 109. So as much as I'd like to play I don't think I have the memory to keep track of all my numbers and take tire pressure, old parts, etc. into account. I think once I was at the bottom of the red on my fuel gauge (IE not completely empty) I was at 26mpg assuming I had actually used all my fuel, my gas tank was at 100% capacity when I started, and my odometer was accurate. I'd like to imagine I was actually pretty close to 30mpg. That's also with no belly pan and whatever the plastic thing in the back is melted in half and flailing around for who knows how many miles (a hundred?), and 2 or 3 high-speed tests.

Thats impressive on B99. My mileage goes to sh*t on b100. Its a consitant 5+mpg loss.

Interesting... other people I know with TDIs haven't noticed such a huge difference. Do you have vag-com? Have you tried playing with your injection timing and fuel mixture to see if you can regain the lost fuel economy on biodiesel?

I haven't been able to measure a difference in fuel economy between B99 and regular diesel in my 760, any difference is much less than the standard deviation of fuel economy due to other variables. Of course, I still can't get within 5mpg of what you get unless I only drive downhill with a tail-wind!

i just got an average of 28.4 mpg in the 855T on a 500 mile round trip to the mountains, 80-90% of the trip was freeway, cruising 85-90mph, i assume i could probly get a better average if i stay out of boost and dont try to race porsche carrera turbos..lol

I've just done something in the region of 360 miles on around 58 litres of fuel; indicated 33.4mpg, with a best of just 34.something, before I drove to work today, and belted around the Welsh/English borders.

I call shennanigans. The 245 is rated at like 21 highway with an auto and about 26 highway with a manual.
That's low, and it's easy to drive better than what cars are rated at if you know what you're doing and your car is in good shape. Also, an LH2.2 or 3.1 car will get better mileage than a 2.4 car almost all of the time. 2.2 runs lean, and 3.1 does SOMETHING(probably pays attention to the throttle position sensor) that allows it to get good mileage as well. It isn't hard for a good condition stock 5spd wagon with either of those computer systems to get over 30mpg on the highway. Drive it the right way in the right conditions and I have no doubt a completely stock 245 can get 35mpg. Lowering with still skinny'ish tires would help though.

lame. Your car meets the requirements pre-mods.

35mpg before turbo, 40mpg after turbo... mods increase power and efficiency... volkswagen did it to some stock n/a diesel jettas from teh factory and they were dubbed as "ecodiesel" cars. they boasted 25% gain in power and a 4 or 5mpg gain in economy.

that is basically what my car is, a vw jetta ecodiesel, in volvo trim.

Back