• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Beluga Whale: Brendonak's Alaska '79 245 Build

Uh oh, look what I did...

1992 wagon, slick top. Auto, but my 244 in the garage has a m47 and pedal box. Body of the 92 is in pretty decent shape save for the crap paint job. Pull windshield and fix light rust and repaint in same color is in store this winter. From there I've got a few ideas.

First, install IPD lowering springs and billys, large sways, new OEM rubber for suspension, 15g +t, cam, e-fan, t5 swap. Respray and windshield rust somewhere in there. While I'm at it, probably ditch lower side moldings since they're hideous. Basic idea is fun DD with decent power that I can enjoy. I'll most likely flathood it, everything painted to match. Unsure about rolling stock at this point. I'd love to run some Rota P45's, but I'm not sure if they're better on the Whale seeing as how it's getting a LS shortly. The Fuchs are getting stripped this winter but they're staying no matter what.

I kind of like keeping the idea of the Whale as a continuously unfinished project that hauls more and more ass every turn of the way, all the while looking very imperfect. Fun.

$700 for everything pictured, 110k miles LM7, ran when parked. No compression check yet, need to clean it first and figure out the maze of wiring while I slowly take it further apart and clean.

Used only block bolts so I can take the oil pan off and heads if I have to (though I don't plan on it if it's not needed).

Got the extra B230f on a stand too, it's from my 1992 wagon and is getting a +t with a 15g. Low boost, drill block for oil drain, DD status.

All tucked away till next weekend!

And a shot of the workspace

IMG_20150801_212123_zpsh5wg4uw5.jpg
[/URL]
Hey, speckles!

So this happened...

Then a hematoma

Shattered 4 ribs, bruised and collapsed my lung. Mid ice collision during a mens league hockey game. My fault, unintentional.

That's putting the v8 on hold. I need a tko, quicktime bellhousing, oil pan, and exhaust manifolds. I've got two KTM's I was going to sell to finance those purchases but since I can't work on them just yet everything is in a holding pattern.

However, I'm not totally debilitated so I have changed the route of the project just a tad. I'm going to use the +t kit I have and combine a 1992 b230f with a 1988 b230ft. Basically the big rods go into the ft block, fresh rings, and hot tank the b230f head since it's newest and lowest mileage. That engine will get the 15g with lh2.4 and chipped computers for ezk too.

That's going in front of the T5 with a new clutch and engine mounts from Yoshifab. Those are the only parts I have to buy so this route will get me around 200whp and should be fun for the summer. That way I can save up and pull the trigger on the rest of the v8 parts.

Pulling the b230f apart

Yayyyyyyyy

Questions I have yet to answer:
Will I have the reported high idle and richness after throttle is closed with lh2.4 and no speedo signal?
Should I use the stock intercooler from a 740 or immediately go to an NPR?
I'm still on stock k-jet fueling but have a higher FPR and orange injectors, will they support the 15psi the 15g can do?
Will I have to get a larger AMM than the stock NA one I have?
Do I need any other aux gauges than AFR, boost, and oil temp?
Where do I relocate the windshield washer fluid to since the air filter goes there?

I've decided on a single glasspack muffler after the downpipe, where the cat normally goes then straight out the back. If it's too loud I can add a turbo muffler somewhere.

After all this my plan is to pull the drivetrain for V8 time and find a shell for the turbo stuff

Updatez

Fancy pic of the car in winter mode. Took the roof rack off for fun

Quin and I have an arrangement

Swapping in his RSI cam to make sure it's not poison. Never can be too sure...

Got the 1992 B230F and 1988 B230FT on stands, 5.3 motor is on the ground for time being. Until my ribs and lung heal it's chill time. Need some speed so the +t is happening.

out of the 1992

I would have thought the 92 would have been in better shape, not the case.

Looking up part numbers and such to build up the FT next weekend

15G
LH2.4
Stock IC
3" w/glasspack
Light flywheel
Yoshifab motor mounts
Yoshifab clutch and pressureplate

And so it goes.

Man, that stuff looks super painful. Good luck getting those rods in the ft block. Then time to go, go, go?

Edit:should work just fine, just saw your other thread about getting them swapped over.

Last edited:
Back