• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Custom oil lines recommendations

Mark G

STARTTLS
For those of you that have built custom oil cooler / turbo lines lately, what specific hoses did you use (brand and model), and where did you purchase them? I've been looking at Gates GTHX, and a few other 100 R6 hoses online.

I'm going to need mostly 5/8" for the an-10 fittings on my cooler and remote filter setup. Were you able to buy by the foot, or a small spool? What fittings did you use and what was your rough total cost?

About a year ago I redid my fuel system to -8 and added a remote oil cooler with -10 lines using Aeroquip AQP Socketless hose. No leaks so far with either. I will say that I used AWAB clamps on the oil system lines for peace of mind. Also, don't mix and match brands on the socketless stuff if you decide to go that route because the i.d./o.d. are not equal across the board.

I mocked stuff up, measured, and was able to order what I needed with a foot or two to spare as they sell them in multiple different lengths. I used Summit or Amazon depending on who had the better price.

I got a made to order 5/8" hose with -10 fittings on each side from apt turbo for my drain. Their custom hoses are down to the inch with no returns so measure carefully if you decide to get them to make them. Probably not worth it to you since you're doing quite a few lines.

I'd use the aeroquip and whoever has the best deal on fittings.

I use Gates C5 field-serviceable fittings and hoses. They're absolutely bombproof as they're made for bulldozers, etc.

Attachments

• Drain.jpg
    Drain.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 227
  • Drain (2).jpg
    Drain (2).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 225
I like the Aeroquip AQP and Starlite hoses for fuel, and the Aeroquip or Summit socketless hose for larger oil lines. For turbo feeds I use PTFE stainless brake lines with conversion fittings at the end, or the Aeroquip equivalent and assemble the hose myself.

My preference for Aeroquip over Earls or Fragola is that the Aeroquip ends are just so much easier to assemble, and they’re available locally.

I used Aeroquip -10 lines to re locate the oil filter and oil cooler on my V8 wagon, the power steering hoses and p/s oil cooler hoses are also Aeroquip. All had to be custom made. I like the look and they have worked fine for years.

After I dumped about a gallon of oil on a racetrack from bad O-rings on my turbo oil return line I decided on a better solution.

For turbo oil return, I am using a Yoshifab -10 AN oil return adapter in my block, an ebay T3/4 -10 adapter for the turbo, summit racing AN fittings, and braided hose. -4AN for the feed line, using Summit fittings and a metric to -4AN for the block.

Cutting the braided hose and putting the fittings on is pretty easy.

I gave up on Summit AN stuff. We never had a Summit fitting or line that didn't give trouble.
YMMV

It's nice to have so many options. Hopefully they stay. There were not nearly so many in years past.
Dave

I use Phenix Industries hose and fittings; push lock for pcv, and crimp on for fuel and oil. US made and great customer service.

NAPA sells oil cooler hose by the foot; I converted a SAAB 900T years ago by cutting the swaged OD sleeves off the factory hoses (probably SETRAB), then dual clamped the NAPA hose on the original inside fittings. She's still not leaked a drop...... we aren't talking about hydraulic pressures here, really you need oil & temperature resistance.

Back