• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 Entire Heater/AC Assembly Removal ??

noz-e8tr

Hey Guys...I'm gonna pull the entire heat/AC box out of my track car this weekend.(1983 242) Any advice on where the bolts holding it in are located. I see a couple at the top on each side looks like they secure it to the cowl vent. I see a couple brackets down low on the sides. Are there any hidden back behind the unit? Does the unit bolt/attach to the firewall anywhere?

th

Yes...I can clearly see the bolts at the top and side. My question was is there any attachment points that are hidden behind the unit attaching to the firewall. Hidden, as in not able to be seen. :-P

Oook
To remove it completely you need to pull the dash. After that you can?t miss the bolts

Yes...I can clearly see the bolts at the top and side. My question was is there any attachment points that are hidden behind the unit attaching to the firewall. Hidden, as in not able to be seen. :-P

Short answer: there are 4 bolts holding it up into the cowl, and 2 more at the bottom - one on each side with a small bracket down to the trans tunnel. So only 6 bolts total holding the assembly into the body. But the AC evaporator pipes snake through the firewall panel on the passenger side, so that complicates things. You can rotate the whole box out to release these or unbolt that firewall panel if it's preferable.

Thanks. I?ve already cut and removed them.

But the AC evaporator pipes snake through the firewall panel on the passenger side, so that complicates things. You can rotate the whole box out to release these or unbolt that firewall panel if it's preferable.

I got mine out (82 242 with A/C) without removing the dash. But I don't think it can go back in without removing the dash. A little 90-degree Phillips screw driver was needed on the brackets holding it to the top of the tranny hump - tedious. Luckily I went back in with a different type unit - much easier to install with dash in place. Mine didn't have hard pipes through the firewall -- hoses through the firewall. FWIW....

Thanks. I?ve already cut and removed them.

Ah yeah, on an 83 it would be hoses running through the firewall, duh. Sorry for the unnecessary confusion. 91-93 AC evaporators have integrated hard lines through the firewall which complicates things.

If you cut the corners on the center console upper bracket things it's easier to roll it out without taking off the dash, won't hurt anything, won't see it after you put center console back in. Cuts the 8 hour job in half.

It’s out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JQi5n6CNFH4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back