• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bang for buck 940 redblock tuning .

I for one found this to be a helpful post because i've been wading through pages of 10 yr old mixed bag stuff since i joined and couln't find anything suitable. I put up a thread and was sent sraight to newb faqs which again have very old stuff, mainly aimed at autos with links that dont work and images that are no longer hosted. Wagonracer i have an LPT 945 with m90 and believe in preventative maintenance while upgrading rather than repairing after upgrading so if you dont mind i'd like to send you a pm regarding some aforementioned mods..

So, if the OP's experience of tuning is so badly flawed, as so many of you take such glee in pointing out (despite the fact that he has achieved his BHP goal), where is the thread that gives the latest, greatest and currently most valid information?

Some of us haven't got time to read every thread posted.

But if there isn't comprehensive write up then maybe this is the best on offer so far, whether the content be right or wrong?

Like four lines in I saw "V Cam" and "not recommended for autos"

I LOVE my V cam in my auto 245. It's the best I've had yet, even without boost. Fantastic DD cam. I fully intend to keep it if I ever get around to putting this nice ball bearing gt3071r on a ****ty Volvo exhaust manifold and crowding the ****ty Volvo intake with boost cooled by a ****ty Volvo intercooler and roasting really nice tires with the ****ty Volvo open diff. :p

I LOVE my V cam in my auto 245. It's the best I've had yet, even without boost. Fantastic DD cam. I fully intend to keep it if I ever get around to putting this nice ball bearing gt3071r on a ****ty Volvo exhaust manifold and crowding the ****ty Volvo intake with boost cooled by a ****ty Volvo intercooler and roasting really nice tires with the ****ty Volvo open diff. :p

V cam is great without boost as a mild cam but adding boost starts to make it a lumpy cam. The condistions for the cam in NA and forced induction are not the same

I like the A cam with Turbo. Still perfect bottom end for heavy towing work but not strangled at higher revs like you have with the T. Not used a B cam in one but should work perfectly fine. The V is fine if you dont tow much, better with an adjsutable pulley

But if there isn't comprehensive write up then maybe this is the best on offer so far, whether the content be right or wrong?

if the content is wrong, the content is wrong-which, if that's the case, it is in fact worse than simply not having a write-up.

and having gone back and skimmed, this thread is in fact, worse than not having a thread at all.

but by all means, go drop colder plugs and a cone filter on a stock car...

Last edited:
Well, oh wizened ones, I used to know my way around a red block but got out of it a fair few years ago & the comments I read in this thread suggest to me that things have moved on somewhat in the mean time. How does one find a good guide to tuning a red block today, then? Or is such a request considered banal nowadays?

I put this in as i had no experience of autos i now have a K in a auto and can report it is fine , its lost alot low down but from 3000rpm it flies ill be updating this post soon as i know how much you lot love a good cry :)

I put this in as i had no experience of autos i now have a K in a auto and can report it is fine , its lost alot low down but from 3000rpm it flies ill be updating this post soon as i know how much you lot love a good cry :)

My personal experience is that the K cam is a dog with an automatic. Especially an auto with the stock stall converter. There are better cams out there. You lose a lot of low end. Couldn't get a 60 time lower than 2.2 seconds with the K. I would recommend the T over the K for bang for the buck with an automatic any day.

The real solution is to run more boost.

I think advancing it a few degrees would help , also if it was a 2.3.
If I find time before I take the box out I'd like to put a V in it and see what that is like .
At the moment it does absolutely nothing until 3000 rpm even though it's making boost before , then then it rips round to the redline very well , 1st is horrible though , nothing , nothing , wheel spin . Just a 13c 14psi b200ft .

Last edited:
Well, oh wizened ones, I used to know my way around a red block but got out of it a fair few years ago & the comments I read in this thread suggest to me that things have moved on somewhat in the mean time. How does one find a good guide to tuning a red block today, then? Or is such a request considered banal nowadays?

Seeing your car in Ppc mag spured me on with my very first Volvo :) having my car featured in the same magazine was a nice achievement for me :) thanks .

if the content is wrong, the content is wrong-which, if that's the case, it is in fact worse than simply not having a write-up.

and having gone back and skimmed, this thread is in fact, worse than not having a thread at all.

but by all means, go drop colder plugs and a cone filter on a stock car...

It now explains in the first paragraph why I've done this , thanks for constructive criticism , I'd also welcome your spec list and dyno sheet to be added to this post .

Last edited:
It now explains in the first paragraph why I've done this , thanks for constructive criticism , I'd also welcome your spec list and dyno sheet to be added to this post .

I'm not sure of anyone that's contributed more dyno plots to this board than Kenny... perhaps you should go and investigate a little bit more what numbers he has come up with....

He's practically given every person on the board an exact bullet list of how to make a

• 14 second car
  • 13 second car
  • 12 second car
  • 11 second car
  • 10 second car

from his extensive documentation.... he's written the damned book on it!

You could read no english, be blind in one eye, quadraplegic, and simply look at the pictures he's generously provided over the years and put together a car that runs any of the times listed above.

What's your contribution to this board over the years? .... aside from rehashing the old "stage bazillion list" that someone wrote back in the 90's

Back