• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My Restoration and Detailing Chemicals

Hey Pat,

Question - have you ever cleaned an engine bay coated with cosmoline? I mean the yellow junk that is kinda like clearcoat that dealers liked to hose engine bays down with. I see it on some volvo's but BMW especially must have been in love with the stuff at one point.

My 5'ers engine bay is drowned in the **** and even superclean won't touch the nazi goop.
:-(

I mean I can remove it if I soak an area in superclean for and hour and then scrub like hell with a red scotchbrite, but at that point I might as well just be scuffing it for a re-paint, which is probably what I'll have to do- literally use paint stripper and re prime and paint the whole engine bay. It's terrible ****.

Any thoughts? Maybe the 713 would be better. Or Kerosene. Or Dynamite.

Hey Pat,

Question - have you ever cleaned an engine bay coated with cosmoline? I mean the yellow junk that is kinda like clearcoat that dealers liked to hose engine bays down with. I see it on some volvo's but BMW especially must have been in love with the stuff at one point.

My 5'ers engine bay is drowned in the **** and even superclean won't touch the nazi goop.

I mean I can remove it if I soak an area in superclean for and hour and then scrub like hell with a red scotchbrite, but at that point I might as well just be scuffing it for a re-paint, which is probably what I'll have to do- literally use paint stripper and re prime and paint the whole engine bay. It's terrible ****.

When we received a display artifact or part for our DC-3 at the museum that needed cosmoline removed, we basically did it one of two ways. Heat will actually melt it and make it drip off (old oven for us, maybe a heat gun for you) or with smaller parts, we would soak them in mineral spirits. They'd come out as clean as a whistle.

I'll talk to my detail friend and see if he has any new tips before I post, but yeah, there are ways to get it off that aren't too bad.

My uber nice 90 325i before:

black90325006.jpg

After first wash:

black90325024.jpg

I was into e30's for a while so I'm totally used to it. Hope your car isn't silver, it tends to stain that color of paint permanently.

WOW!!! That is impressive.. Looks like the showroom floor model. I didn't see you list a leather restoration/cleaning system. May I recomend to you a product recomended by the Rolls Royce owner's club. It's called Leatherique. Yes, I know the name sounds like you buy it out of some guys trunk, but I have had good success with it. Even for painted leather. I'm currently trying to bring back the hardend leather seats on my 1996 965. Keep up the inspiring work.
Mark Johnson

Before:

242005.jpg

After:

badgerengine0001.jpg

:-P

Leatherique is absolutely the best stuff money can buy. I've been saying that for years, just not on this forum.

Pat - after seeing your cars in person the past 8 years and now reading your secrets, I have no choice but to stick this thread.

Back