• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help identifying a B20 cam

roflcopter

I have a cam in a box that came with a car... I have no clue how to go about identifying what it actually is, so I'll post as much detail here as I can and see if any of you recognize it.

Markings on the cam:
Made in USA
CWC
D1
C1
A? 1U
OBT-10

Also in the box are 8 Chevy lifters from Summit Racing.

Any ideas?

The cast markings on the cam are pretty useless.

Is there any sort of letter stamped into the back end of the cam?

What about the front?

TCam1.jpg

It can be faint sometimes. Or even scratched on somewhere, depending on who did the cam grinding.

The cast in letters and numbers just have something to do with who made the cam blank, not what cam lobe was later ground onto it.

your best bet would be to take a pair of calipers and measure the total diameter on the top of the lobe, and the diameter on the sides of the lobe (round part), subtract them, and use that as the total lift measurement, then use the cam chart under articles to figure out which grind it is.

I believe it is a common hot-rod trick with B20's to use chevy V8 lifters

I believe it is a common hot-rod trick with B20's to use chevy V8 lifters
The fit and work nicely, but they're shorter, so you need correspondingly longer pushrods.

I don't think there's any performance advantage. I think they weigh the same, possibly more(???), they're just usually cheaper. And Volvo lifters seemed to go through a period of time where they went bad rather easily. Bad batch of them working their way through the parts systems?

I think the lifter failures maybe came with oil reformulation as there was a rash of that happening with chevy engines too

Back