• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

122s wheel sizes (what fits?)

sspony

I'm looking for a set of wheels for my 65' 122s. I know the bolt pattern is 4.5x5, but I'm not sure what sizes, widths, and backspacing will fit. For instance what backspacing would I need to run a set of 15"x7" wheels?
Any knowledge of wheel sizes that will fit is appreciated. Thanks!

Stock 4" wide run about 2-2.25" back space. 15x7 +20 rubs slightly on sway bars at full lock (thats what I have right now). .5" spacers get me to where it doesnt rub the sway.

I have test fitted some -12 16x8 but there was a little chance that they would rub the fenders under compression. But with stiffer springs and those Koni's I think that would be safe.

I've seen some that have run 17x7 0mm offset with no issues on stiffer than stock springs.

Well Chris since it seems to be mostly you and I conversing on these threads recently I'll shoot you a pm so everyone else doesn't have to suffer through our banter haha.

great thing about posting in the forums is the search function. Then in 2 months when the next guys comes on theres a whole bunch of info to toss at him.

great thing about posting in the forums is the search function. Then in 2 months when the next guys comes on theres a whole bunch of info to toss at him.

Except they won't search for it :lol:

I ran 17x8 et20. It rubbed the sway at full lock and the rear arches had to be rolled flat. 7" wide would be happy around et15 in he front and et20 in the back. Just keep the tires around 205. You won't need anything wider than that on one of those cars anyway.

I tend to be guilty of this because the search function hates me. I also wish you could browse back farther in the forum history and that things wouldn't move into the abyss to quickly. How do you do your search? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think when you join you should receive a detailed pm on how to search. Haha

Positive offset means the mounting face is closer to the outside rim of the wheel, negative offset means the mounting face is closer to the inside rim.

I run 17 x 7.5 with +18 offset (43 offset wheels with 25mm spacers) and I rub slightly on the rear fender lips with plenty of clearance to the inside. I should get thinner spacers but I want the wheels flush with the fenders. I plan to roll the fender lips.

I ran 205/45 tires on them and didn't rub at all, but the tires looked too small in the wheel wells, so I bumped to 205/50 and now they rub a bit. 215/55 looked perfect but rubbed a LOT, both front and rear.

Here's a pic with the 205/50:

5-20%20GTG%201.JPG

Here's a pic with the 215/55

122_263.jpg

I think 205/55 would probably be ideal, with thinner spacers to move the wheels in a few mm. But overall I'm happy with what I have.

For some reason I've always just talked width and backspacing. I guess I need to start using offset as well. Makes sense to me on what it means.
I think I'll prob be running 15"x7" or at the most 16"x7" on mine. I do not want to rub or have to roll the fenders. Anyone run any wheels that size? What kind of et or bs did you have? Thanks again for all of the solid responses!

I was running 17 X 7's with 205/50's on the stock offset (scrub radius matters) and they also rub the big IPD sway at full lock. Not a really big deal. The rear fitment depends on your fender lip condition. I've seen cars with replaced arches where the extra metal was not trimmed and they would foul my wheels. I rolled my rear fenders (was running a 240 rear end) to gain reasonable clearance. And by roll, I mean I hit them really hard with a BFH. Most savage.

HPIM0998.JPG

And don't worry, vintage guys are around.

Custom (and they're not on the car anymore...long story) - The rears are 1" shorter than stock and 145 lbs/in and the fronts were 1.5" shorter than stock and variable rate from 425 - 550 lbs/in (definitely don't do this). Bilstein shocks all around with IPD bars, poly bushes the usual. It was a little harsh on the street but fun as heck on the track.

Forgot about scrub... for a DD I'd say to keep that as close to stock as possible, but that means that you cant go too wide. with a 15x7 or 16x7 I'd still go around 20mm offset to be *close* to stock, but I like my stance wide, so when I get my new wheels they'll be 16 or 17x8 0 offset with a possible spacer, and rack and pinion to help in the forearm department.

getting too far out with scrub means more wear in the wheel bearing, ball joint, and control arm busing department, and the need to box the control arms.

Right now the car is at square one. Stock everything. So far the only items i have for it suspension wise are a set of koni red adjustable shocks. I still need to decide on springs, get new bushing/ball joints, and decide on wheels/tires size and style.
I know I want the car to ride lower then stock, however; i do not want it to be slammed. I also want to install wider wheels and tires for handling and appearance. However i'm not wanting to run anything larger then a 16" wheel, and I dont want to modify any body panels to make then tire/wheel combo fit. Any suggestions that will get me close to this are very appreciated haha

That thread I pm'd to you has my setup, its Kybs, 2.25" lower than stock on 15's with a 205 55 tire. I think Page 2 or 3 has the best shots of wheel/tire, and stance.

sorry for the grainy cell pic, but this is a Rear 3/4 view. Front is lowered 2.25 and rear is 1.75 or 2 with overload coils. Wheels are 15x6.5 +20mm offset, with Federal 205/55/15 tires
IMG_2475%5B1%5D.JPG

And yes I know that I need a bumper, and rear valance, and yes the glasspack is kinda tipsy and a bit jenky.

Back