• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

jbhOQ7mQ.jpg

Ran out of heat shrink tubing :(.

Today was a good day :)
The cheap Windows tablet I got specifically for tuning this car connected first try, and all the sensors read properly. I'm pretty stoked, because I was a bit concerned about my home-made harness, and the master disconnect I put in the middle of it to facilitate engine removal. 93-99 VWs have a nice round 36-pin connector at the engine harness, so I grabbed one at the junkyard and put it to use.

4H6BzGI2.jpg

6v7QOXkQ.jpg

Intercooler mockup has begun. I'll be able to use mostly OEM piping/connectors, so I'm pretty happy. I have to get some 0.125"x1 flatbar to make some lower IC brackets, just to drop it enough to allow the upper core support to sit properly.

gmLfE5Ei.jpg

Intercooler in, new transmission cooler lines run (bending my own), and 1.5-2 coils cut out of the front springs. I can't get decent pics inside the garage, so I'll have to wait until I can roll it outside.

As soon as the tranny lines are done, I can put some ATF and oil in, and try to fire it up :).

^I guess we can consider your 244's B21A a B21F+T now. Nice work. Should be a fun spring through fall driver...

-J

Nice project! :)

Don't know if i missed it, but ar you going to tune the engine as well?
I plan on sticking to ~10psi (9.3:1 CR), and it comes with an A cam already, since it was a carbed car originally. The engine only has 125k KMs (77k miles) on it, so I am just going to enjoy it for now. The megasquirt will be enough fun to keep me occupied for a while, haha.

Okey!

I was just curious because i'm haveing an AW71L in my 945 as well and are a little bit concerned if it will put out with my 185hp and 290Nm. But it shouldn't be a problem.

You are up in those numbers with your engine to?

I'm going to aim for 200hp, but I've rebuilt the transmission and done the accumulator mod. I don't expect any trouble, especially since I'm not very hard on my cars anymore :). I probably could have gotten away with a stock rebuild, but I like sharp shifts :).

Haha, nice. I've never seen that one before :).

Honestly, I was a drag racer, and even though I don't plan on doing much with this car (I'm gettin' old), autos are king when it comes to straight line speed. I like to tell myself that, to help justify putting one in, when the truth is that I just want an auto so I don't have to clutch anymore, haha. My daily subie is a 5-speed, and getting stuck in traffic is a bitch to a guy with old knees.

Got home from supper at the inlaws last night (enchilada casserole, god I love my MIL), and decided to put in some ATF, oil, and try to fire it up. After a few minutes of work, a DIY VW coil-to-volvo dizzy cap wire, and a double check on spark/fuel...it fired up straight away :). There's no downpipe, and it wouldn't idle on it's own, but damn I'm stoked.

Today's job is to reassemble the dash and install the OEM triple-gauge panel.

Today was a successful day. The interior is back together, the car fires right up on the MS1, AND the transmission works (once I added enough ATF, oops). I have a f**king oil leak near the oil return, that seems to be from the pan flange. It didn't look warped from the welding, but maybe it is a bit. Liveable, but very irritating.

I also got my downpipe fabbed up, and it was super easy. My turbo is a 16T angled flange, and I grabbed the DP from the S60 when I got the turbo at the junkers. All I did was cut the DP at the flange, rotate it a bit, tack it, test to fit, and weld. It took 10 minutes. There's even an O2 bung, so I didn't have to install one. :)

Finished my intake piping tonight. I've deleted my window sprayer for now, because I am using an old Turbo Dodge airbox for my intake/filter. There's a nice port on the bottom for the PCV line, so the oil vapour stays in the sponge in the pocket, but there is constant suction on the line. I've used these before, and have seen very little difference in power level (at least for my needs) vs. a cone filter.

NbtWJKuK.jpg

It makes total sense that the e-fan relay I grabbed months ago from the 940 fan donor is completely pooched inside. After getting it all wired up, it wouldn't work...so I popped the cover off...yuck!

I went to a local yard and grabbed 5 others (one is in the car already) for $16 after tax. All of them are sparklingly clean inside, and work great.

HCQQXazo.jpg

Still fighting a f**king oil leak at the pan flange :grrr:

I drained a quart of oil, and the level read at the halfway point on the stick, so maybe there was just too much oil and the cheap chinese gasket wasn't having it. Anyway, we'll see what happens next. I snugged down the low side oil pan bolts too.

Looks like the pan is coming off :(.

Now I have to decide if I hate myself, or REALLY hate myself. Do I fight my way through it from underneath, or do I take the engine out?

I really regret not filling it with oil and checking BEFORE I put it in :(.

Back