• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

RB20DET into a 740 estate

jules740

soooo had a call from my mechanic the other day saying my m46 is almost dead, 14psi and 380,000 kays will probably do that i guess

anyhow seeing as the rest of the car is in top condition ive decided to hang on to it and shell out the cash to fix this problem

my first option was a supra 5speed conversion for around 2000 drive in drive out

however...

done a bit of research and have found a few places that will do an rb20det and gearbox conversion for 3000 so its more than likely ill go down that route :)

basically just looking for any info on tb first before going through endless nissan forums

potential?

how much power will that gearbox take? etc etc

any info would be greatly appreciated dooods

the RB20 is a hopeless piece of ****, you're much better off with a B230FT

RB25 would be ok though

or you could just replace the M46 for $100 and be done with it

the RB20 is a hopeless piece of ****, you're much better off with a B230FT

RB25 would be ok though

or you could just replace the M46 for $100 and be done with it
have had no luck finding an m46 yet, even if i did i dont think id bother..im aiming fo around 300hp at the crank to start then up from there so id rather just pay the money for something bulletproof

Or you could swap an SR20DET or an RB26...

if i can find someone who can do an sr20 for a reasonable price ill definately do that, rb20 seemed liked the cheaper option though so just thought i should suss it out seeing as i know nothing about the rb20s, rb26 is out of my reach moneywise

Hi

I think $2000 for a supra 5 conversion is the cheaper option

The cost of a RB or SR conversion alone without the engine and gearbox will set you back more $$$$ if you are paying someone else to do it

And a RB front cut will set you back $1500+++ and a Sr front cut will cost you bigger dollars

conversion Aren't just throwing a engine in and go. There is a lot of little job that is where the $$$$ add up

lol. captain world beater with a 13c here. post something coherent next time kid. We don't need to hear about a poorly tuned 240sx.

and in an effort to "stay on topic" lol...
I would not put an rb20 in, that's a waste of space. rb25 or 26, but really I would probably go with a 1jz or 2jz for the effort (well.. there's no probably about what I'd do, but this isn't my car). however, vs an rb20, I'd just keep the stock volvo stuff and get a better gearbox.

Last edited:
lol. captain world beater with a 13c here. post something coherent next time kid. We don't need to hear about a poorly tuned 240sx.

and in an effort to "stay on topic" lol...
I would not put an rb20 in, that's a waste of space. rb25 or 26, but really I would probably go with a 1jz or 2jz for the effort (well.. there's no probably about what I'd do, but this isn't my car). however, vs an rb20, I'd just keep the stock volvo stuff and get a better gearbox.

Listen to this man. And lol at sr20's. Unless you want a track car.
Posted via Mobile Device

740volvo:
Try posting again when you can speak clearly and not include a derogatory reference re: sexual orientation in every ****ing post.

If you post like that again I'll permaban you.

--
Editor's Note: I thought 740volvo was the op and hastily closed the thread. Reopened now since that is of course not the case, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Yeah I was wondering what was going, I was trying to figure what I had said wrong :S

still not sure what my plan is, at the moment my Car is pissing me off and i feel like trading for a camry and being done with fixing things but ehh whatever, I now need wheel bearings all round and a centre bearing which was supposedly done a month ago it'll be around 1200 all up (fuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkk)

but anywayyy an rb20 is rubbish?

Sr20 sounds like it'll be too much?

Once this stuff is fixed put a supra box in and rebuild my redblock and make it brilliant?

I should just buy a good mountainbike

centre baring after a month? who did it last time? i'd go off at whoever did it a month ago cause if it's already stuffed they did it wrong

wheels barings eh pull some good ones at the pick n pull, all up can be done for less than a hundred

rb20 is a turd.. decent bottom end but crappy head and not worth the effort.. "There is a reason they are soo cheap"
Rb25-26 or a JZ motor if your serious.. the rb20 makes no tq and these cars are heavy and need that tq to get movin..

Yeah I was wondering what was going, I was trying to figure what I had said wrong :S

still not sure what my plan is, at the moment my Car is pissing me off and i feel like trading for a camry and being done with fixing things but ehh whatever, I now need wheel bearings all round and a centre bearing which was supposedly done a month ago it'll be around 1200 all up (fuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkk)

but anywayyy an rb20 is rubbish?

Sr20 sounds like it'll be too much?

Once this stuff is fixed put a supra box in and rebuild my redblock and make it brilliant?

I should just buy a good mountainbike

rb20's just don't seem to really make any kind of power and seem to be (at least stateside) semi-expensive to get parts for. strictly rb20 vs the volvo engine, I'd keep the volvo engine.

Thanks guys glad I got some good info on that engine, don't think I'll bother with the RB20 idea

centre baring after a month? who did it last time? i'd go off at whoever did it a month ago cause if it's already stuffed they did it wrong

wheels barings eh pull some good ones at the pick n pull, all up can be done for less than a hundred

yeah man its so annoying seeing as I'm trying to save for a trip to the states snowboarding andddd a gearbox.

It was an ultratune up here at dural, $1500 in repairs for the blueslip, when I eventuLlygot it back to my regular mechanic he said it looked like they had just undone the bolts degreased it, lesson learned don't use franchised shops they don't care

after I'm finished being an idiot and spending the next weekand a half drunk for the holidays I'm doing this stuff myself

ps sorry for the long posts I just really dig car talk :)

Back