home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #376
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevE85 View Post
What power level are you looking to achieve with all of this? Were you fuel limited before?
I don't really at this point have a set power goal. I'm just trying to completely optimize the car so if I want to kick it hard I can without worrying about it. And yes on the single 450 with 80s on e85 it would go lean and fuel pressure would drop off. Better to overshoot the fuel system imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #377
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

You got two pumps to fit in the original hole? Nice. How bad was it to weld on the tank?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #378
cosbySweater
Board Member

I will say this, the pumps fit in easily when you get rid of the sending unit and return line. However I would never suggest welding one of these old tanks, the offgas from the old galvanizing is absolutely brutal. I'm willing to bet the new tanks you can buy are alot safer and easier to weld
Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #379
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
I will say this, the pumps fit in easily when you get rid of the sending unit and return line. However I would never suggest welding one of these old tanks, the offgas from the old galvanizing is absolutely brutal. I'm willing to bet the new tanks you can buy are alot safer and easier to weld
Interesting, even with filter socks? If I ever need more fueling than one pump can handle I was just planning to find a new tank and put in a fuel sending setup made for two pumps with a big opening so I never have to fish out another float.
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #380
vwbusman66
sold his dream car

Quote:
That offgas you speak of would be cyanide gas.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #381
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster

I really dig that you used the PAC-80 batt isolator. I LOVE mine.

I got tired of the 40amp relay's I had getting hot and the connectors aren't great either. I was getting too much voltage drop across them. Now I have a true 8awg wire(not china 8 gauge lol) and the pump with the voltage booster(17.5v) still is not showing a fuel pressure drop at 20psi of boost(76psi rail pressure) on e85 single 450 and -6 line.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you voltage boost a walbro 450, they turn into an absolute animal.

Keep up the badass build! Always like seeing updates on this.

60' 1.66
1/8 6.53 @ 113.3mph
1/4 9.99 @ 140.4mph
21psi 14.5deg timing E85
3140lb no driver
3320lb with driver
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #382
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhans View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when you voltage boost a walbro 450, they turn into an absolute animal.
Very true. But I'd prefer to have two pumps instead of boosting one though if possible. We had some trouble with a boost a pump not turning on properly recently.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #383
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
Very true. But I'd prefer to have two pumps instead of boosting one though if possible. We had some trouble with a boost a pump not turning on properly recently.
Not to hijack his thread.. again lol

Was it triggered by the ECU or a hobbs switch? Mine is set to remove a ground signal over 6psi of boost as seen by the ecu.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #384
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhans View Post
Not to hijack his thread.. again lol

Was it triggered by the ECU or a hobbs switch? Mine is set to remove a ground signal over 6psi of boost as seen by the ecu.
It is ECU triggered. There was something wrong in the boost a pump and we had to send it back. Not the end of the world, but it's just another potential failure point and I'd rather just have the safety net of two pumps.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #385
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster

Quote:
It is ECU triggered. There was something wrong in the boost a pump and we had to send it back. Not the end of the world, but it's just another potential failure point and I'd rather just have the safety net of two pumps.
Fair. I need to turn on the fuel pressure safety in the Goldbox. Just as an added safety net incase that happens.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #386
cosbySweater
Board Member

I mean I did the 2 pumps because if I want to turn the wick up I can with no issues. I just want it to be as safe as possible. Lq4s are not cheap
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #387
Andrewhans
Turbo LS ****poster

Quote:
I mean I did the 2 pumps because if I want to turn the wick up I can with no issues. I just want it to be as safe as possible. Lq4s are not cheap
They are not cheap anymore that's for sure. I agree completely with doing two pumps!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #388
cosbySweater
Board Member

Got my new wastegate today and started working on getting a ebc in the car, so I spent the day doing some basic work.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #389
cosbySweater
Board Member

Well we are in the home stretch on this turd as far as major upgrades go! I cannot say enough about the s366 clone and 44mm wastegate I got from vs racing. Most of the time I rock the car with no air filter at all. The turbo burns no oil and has no more shaft play then it did when I got it over 20k miles ago. I'll hold onto this one. But what's coming is going to be funnnn.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #390
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Don't forget the side by side with the old and new. I'm curious how they stack up. lol
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #391
cosbySweater
Board Member

I got chu
Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #392
cosbySweater
Board Member

So first and foremost before I get grilled about this. Yes I did mount the wastegate on the housing of the turbo, I did it due to time constraints on getting this deal done. I ordered another exhaust housing for it from atp for when the new engine goes in. Yes you heard that right yet another engine is going to find it's way into this car, most likely at the end of next year. I'm picking up a l96 which is gen 4 6.0, very late model, non dod, and with square port heads. This engine is getting a little tired but I'm going to turn the wick up and see what it will do.when the new engine goes in, it's going to be getting a new turbo kit which will have the wastegates in the crossovers. Don't worry duder it's going to happen!

Also during my short time between jobs i hammered this out with a friend yesterday. Unfortunately all the batteries at the out we're dead. We got it to bark, but no start.

It's ugly but this was all just to configure the ms. None of the goldbox wires were cut so they are full length still. Looking to start it tonight
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #393
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Have fun with that big bad boy. The world needs video.

Regarding the wastegate mounting - you gotta do watchu gotta do. It's not ideal but you know that. I won't grill you for it...much.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #394
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Mine is the same way and works great

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 AM   #395
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Have fun with that big bad boy. The world needs video.

Regarding the wastegate mounting - you gotta do watchu gotta do. It's not ideal but you know that. I won't grill you for it...much.
Thanks! This is temporary I the plan is to build a beefier hotside for it in the future I can actually hang wastegates off